Windows XP will not load...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhinoman7

Baseband Member
I recently upgraded my mobo, and had trouble getting it to boot up into XP, so I finally just reformatted the HD and tried to do a re-install. After several attempts, I finally concluded that my HD was bad, so I got a warranty replacement. The replacement came in the mail today, and here is what I have tried to do today:

I installed the HD. The only other components I have installed on my mobo are the video card, one stick of 512MB memory, and the DVD drive. The HD is a Western Digital 40GB HD. I booted the computer up with the Data Lifeguard Tools disk that came with the HD. I formatted the HD into two partitions: 30GB FAT32, and 10GB NTFS. This was how I had the drive formatted originally before swapping out the mobo. I then took out the tools disk and put in my XP disk and restarted. The system boots up and everything seems to be fine as far as the setup goes. Since I have an upgrade disk, it asks me to put in a qualifying disk to prove that I had an original Windows product, so I put in my Windows 98 CD. It then asks me where I want to install XP, so I choose the 30GB FAT32 partition. It then prompts me to put the XP disk back in. It then proceeds to copy the needed files onto the HD. When it is finished, it tells me to reboot. Upon reboot, I enter the BIOS so that I can change the boot order from CDROM first to HD first. In the past I have tried leaving that alone, and it then boots off the XP CD again and attempts to go through the setup again. After saving my changes in the BIOS, it reboots and just when it should be booting from the HD, it give me a simple error message: "Disk Error / Press any key to restart"
This was the same message I was getting on my other HD, which led me to believe the HD was bad. Now I am beginning to think it is not the HD after all, but I don't know how to get past this. I have even tried installing Windows 98 to do an upgrade from that, but it won't even let me install 98. It seems to me that I should not have a problem just installing XP from this disk and getting up and running again. I have been fighting with this problem for almost three weeks now, and am at my wits end.
I have verified that all of my components are compatible with XP, so I don't think that is the problem. I have also tried formatting the HD into one partition only with the same results.

Any suggestions? If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom