Windows XP WGA To Mimic That Of Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Windows XP WGA To Mimic That Of Windows Vista

Windows XP users who update their system through automatic updates or the Windows update service might be in for a surprise. Microsoft has upgraded their Windows Genuine Advantage software for Windows XP and started its deployment since the beginning of this week.
The new WGA for Windows XP mimics the annoyances that Windows Vista users had to endure if their version of Windows Vista did not pass the WGA check. That system is also called nagging the user to death so that he reacts on the situation.
The black desktop will be introduced to systems that fail the WGA check which is a simple black desktop that was set in place by the system that removed the original wallpaper. The user is free to change back to his initial wallpaper but the system will revert back to the black desktop every 60 minutes.

The second annoyance is a persistent desktop notification in the lower right corner that displays the sentences “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation” and an image with the text “ask for genuine Microsoft software”.
The third and final way of nagging the user will be system tray notifications which will pop up regularly. There will also be a pre-logon message and a logon interrupt message.

I think i remember a time when WGA did this on XP. I also remember the bad publicity they got for it.

But i am glad that they are finally taking a stance.

Here when the first board went doa fast and the replacement was installed being the exact same the message seen in Vista on one corner of the screen was: "You may have a counterfeit copy of Windows". Once MS received a call for reactivaton that disappeared on the spot.

The newer version sees better protection in the MS fight against software piracy there. Since XP is more vulnerable it stands to reason they would need to smarten up a little and put something inplace with a new WGA tool being seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom