Windows XP Upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecherous

Baseband Member
I am about to consider upgrading my Windows 98 SE OEM to Windows XP Professional Non-OEM. Is this at all possible? Do I have to purchase Windows XP OEM to upgrade from Windows 98 SE OEM?

OEM just means it doesnt come with a box. You can use either an xp upgrade disk or a full install to upgrade from 98se. If you choose to buy the upgrade disk it will just ask for a windows 98/me disk at setup to insure you own a previous copy.

I would not reccomend doing an upgrade. I would do a fresh installation of XP. Upgrades just seem to be.....flaky...You also get windows 98 system files mixed up with your XP and things get a little messy.

This is just my oppinion.

XP is a whole different animal that 98. win 95-me is all in the same family then they went with the more stable NT system, witch is alot different, they kind of through the backward compatible thing out the window. which was 9x biggest fault. an upgrade would transfer to a total different os so fresh install is always best, especially in this case.

Windows 98 SE to Windows XP Upgrades

Thanks to all out there who responded to my question: Windows XP Upgrade vs Windows XP Full installation. I will definitely follow the non-upgrade direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom