Windows XP Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccskorn

Baseband Member
I have a version of Windows XP Pro that my friend's dad gave me because he works at a company with a big network. Well, he gave a lot of my friends it too and we all used Windows Update, and now it says trouble verifying serial when I try to update. On our family computer, it has Windows XP Home, but didn't come with the cd, only a Systemax restore cd. I was wondering if I would be able to change my serial to the Windows XP Home serial, or install XP Home on my computer and use the same serial as my family computer. Would that work? Plus are there any advantages/disadvantages of using Home instead of Pro? I can't tell the difference between the two. And is it possible to install Home over Pro?

First of all, you cannot install Home over Pro. Second, Pro offers the following features which home does not offer:

Group policy - manage what settings users can change
Domain logon - the ability to log onto a Windows NT domain
Dynamic disk support - span one volume accross multiple hard disk drives
IIS - Internet Information Services
More user customizability - You can customize group/user options to a much greater extent
Numerous other enhanced features

Last, the version of XP home that came with your family computer is meant to only go on that computer. In fact, it probably wouldn't even install on a computer that wasn't Systemax. One problem many users of the corporate edition of XP Pro experience is the inability to install updates. There is a program called X-Setup Pro that allows you to change your serial number among other things. It might help you out.

yo man beedubaya u r kool i totally agree with you init but am waiting for the reply from ccskorn did he tried that or not .. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom