Windows XP Synchronization Manager...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Is honestly probably one of the most annoying fricken things I've ever dealt with. It makes the UAC with Vista look not so bad after all.

I have to redo a lab so I'm setting up a master image. The one thing I absolutely positively do not want is this synchronization manager popping up and spending a half hour being annoying when somebody goes to log off. It's a problem here because when classes change, there's only a few moments in between each class, and often times the students come in to find the previous student's login is still trying to log off but it's being hung up by the sync manager.

We're using XP Pro SP3 on these machines. I do not need any syncing whatsoever. The documents for each student is routed to a specific share on the server, so when they log in their my documents folder is automatically linked to the server to where they store their particular data.

How do I get this thing to turn off? I disabled offline files and disabled synchronizing all together, including when I log on/off. I then took that profile and copied it to the default profile. Then I logged into another domain account that hadn't logged onto this computer before, so it pulled down the default profile. When I go to log off, bam! Synchronizing!

How do I get this thing to be permanently off for every single user who logs into this system?

Would this policy in particular be something that's locally on the machine, or a global group policy that I'd have to bug the network admin about?

Global

If you have all the mentioned turned off/disabled, and it comes back, usually its something to do with a GP Setting.

For example, most orgs have a 30 min limit on the screensaver lockout. I can disable it via the registry, soon as I reboot, it's back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom