Windows XP startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriEclipse

Daemon Poster
My problem occured randomly for no apparent reason when I tried to start up my PC tonight. After going past the BIOS menu and such, the system asks me if I want to boot into Safe Mode/Last Known Good Configuration/Start Windows Normally.

If I pick the Safe Mode option, then I get a long list of file names, the last of which says;

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\btkrnl.sys

and then it ceases to do anything. Eventually, it will restart the PC.

If I pick Last Known Good Configuration, the most interesting thing happens; the Windows XP loading screen comes up (the equivalent thereof since I have customized it), but right after it is done loading, I get something similar to a BSOD. The screen is blue...and it is signifying death...but it is not in the same format as the other BSOD's that I've encounterd. Its more of a very quick scrolling of text (that I couldn't hope to read in time) and then the PC restarts again.

If I pick Start Windows Normally, I get the XP loading screen, and after that the PC simply freezes with a black screen.

My only suspicion is something that I found here. I tried it just today, and it is the only significant change I'd made before the very last restart after which I first encountered this problem. It didn't work, it wasn't very important, so I gave up on it. It made me run a few programs though, and I have no idea what they did, just tossing that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom