Windows xp startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp1

Beta member
Hi, my pc is approx a year old and has always had a problem while booting. I have winxp pro sp2 and each time i boot all goes well until the windows loading screen. Most of the time it takes atleast 2min to get past this point. The loading bar seems to continue over and over again. 3/4 of the time the pc will eventually start and load windows but sometimes it will stop loading, go the blue error screen then reset. Quite a few times, the pc has to take atleast 3 attempts to load windows. This has been happening since day 1, but seems to get worse as the days move on. I put together a pretty top notch pc (at the time, jan 2006) with the following specs

ASUS A8N-SLI premium mother board
Amd 3800 dual core processor
ACR ddr ram 2 x 1g
Nvidia geforce 6800 GS
300G hardrive

Thats all i remember off the top of my head. It may be a hardware or software problem, i have no idea. Any help would be much appreciated so i can eventually solve this frustrating problem. If needbe i can pull up more specs

Cheers Joel

There seems to be numerous things that could be causing this although with a few quick tests you can fix them. First... if it's possible to boot into safe mode (tap F8 during start up) you can change the option not to restart during a computer crash. This will allow you to see the Blue screen error that you are getting.
Secondly you can go here...http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/IBM-Hitachi-Drive-Fitness-Test.shtml This is a small test that you can put onto a CD or floppy to test the hard drive to see if it is bad or not. The other thing you might consider checking is the memory with Memtest86 found here...http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Hope this helps...let me know if you need any further help.

-NS

I agree w/Night

I recently had the same issue with a Compaq laptop. Mine was doing the same exact thing. I reformatted hd and installed xp, however, xp wouldn't install. Turns out the hard drive was bad. Bought and installed new HD and laptop is back to business. Good luck

Well I do sometimes get the blue screen when starting up, but my Pc loads up in a few seconds, well 3 times for the Pc to load successfully is really frustrating!! Anyways I recommend you to follow what nightshade told you

cp1 said:
I have winxp pro sp2 and each time i boot all goes well until the windows loading screen. Most of the time it takes atleast 2min to get past this point. The loading bar seems to continue over and over again. 3/4 of the time the pc will eventually start and load windows but sometimes it will stop loading, go the blue error screen then reset.

2min?! that doesnt sound to right!
are u sure u got the RAM in the right slots? that motherboard has 2 blue and 2 black RAM slots, the blue means its for single channel RAM and the black slots mean its for dual channel, or vise-versa (dont remember) if u mix both of ur RAM sticks with blue and blacks slot when they're both the same make and model then that can give u issues.

ACR RAM ? never heard of this manufacturer (might be garbage quality)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom