Windows XP start-up... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Red face Windows XP start-up...

For some stupid reason..i dont no wht...but everytime i turn my computer on....it will boot fine...but then when it gets the the main screen...lik the log on thing....it will sit there and say Windows Starting Up... and i think its totaly stupid...it will sit and sit...and then say welcome and be on its merry way...i hate the lag time... it takes me lik 3 minutes to boot up my machine... its so stupid...any ideas... and i tried lik Bootvis and stuff to try for a faster boot...and still nothing... so plez help.... i want a fast Windows XP Pro machine...not some junk... thanx

Old 04-23-2005, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to Alex4R Send a message via Yahoo to Alex4R

Have you played around with the startup items in Start>Run>MSConfig? If not try disabling everything but your firewall/anti-virus and the programs you want to open.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Try typing it so we can read it properly .............okay............can ...........you.............do..............that?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

What the hell is wrong with you tonight skyhi?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

he must be ski high
Old 04-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

So your software is totally functional?. Under xp pro you should have about 45 processes or so under task manager, 3 mins sounds right, it takes a few to start, I must be reading that wrong. If you have an active connection, your op and posibly other programs will connect or check for updates, this will slow your system, if you notice trouble running other software, then your cpu is probably working beyond its capacity, of course. if its solely software related, check for new drivers, specifically video and monitor.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well actual...the time im talking about...is the welcome screen...and it sits and says Windows is Starting Up... then it says welcome.. and then it loads windows...
Old 06-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Slow loading of OS could also mean time for a defrag. you could check if thats the problem.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Windows XP start-up...

Quote:
Originally posted by coolboy696
For some stupid reason..i dont no wht...but everytime i turn my computer on....it will boot fine...but then when it gets the the main screen...lik the log on thing....it will sit there and say Windows Starting Up... and i think its totaly stupid...it will sit and sit...and then say welcome and be on its merry way...i hate the lag time... it takes me lik 3 minutes to boot up my machine... its so stupid...any ideas... and i tried lik Bootvis and stuff to try for a faster boot...and still nothing... so plez help.... i want a fast Windows XP Pro machine...not some junk... thanx
It's possible that you have a USB device connected to your computer that is causing the slow boot. Remove those devices, except mouse and keyboard, and see if your computer will start faster. Connect them one by one to see which one is causing your slow startup. If you do find out which device is slowing you down, reinstall the driver for it.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

defrag the system. have you tried a scan -probably one of those freakin viruses

Closed Thread