windows xp splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyray

Solid State Member
Greetings all

I've been lurking for a while now and I have gathered a lot of usefull tips and tricks not to mention all the problems everyone here has helped me fix, I'd like to say thanks for everything....Thanks smile.gif

Now comes the time I need help with something I can't get any info on.

I recently installed a clean copy of xp on my moms computer (pentium 4) and it was working great (awesome) for about a month untill last week when it started to hang up on the xp splash screen, it hangs up for about 5 min.....very irritating!

I read you can disable the splash screen but I have a feeling it won't solve the prob. I'm guessing something is very wrong.

Once it finally boots up everything is completely fine????

I gone through the startup items (msconfig) and that's good.

Anti virus= up to date
spyware= up to date
adaware= up tp date

I intalled bootvis and still nothing.......still getting the 5 min xp splash screen???

Is there anyone here that could help me with this prob??

Thanks in advance
Bobby Ray

I assume you are talking about the Windows XP startup logo. Long delays can happen here for many reasons. This typically happens if you have a conflict that Windows is having a problem resolving, or an event or service is timing out upon boot.

First, you may want to check your error logs for any errors that may be occuring that you unaware about.
1. Right Click on my computer
2. Click on Manage
3. Expand the Performance Logs and Alerts section
4. Review alerts in any of these categories that are indicated with a red x.

Second
Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and see if there is still a 5 minute delay in safe mode.
If this seems to resolve the problem, it may be possible that this is a driver problem.
1. Roboot your computer
2. Press F8 after your bios post completes and before your Widows logo screen starts
3. Choose Start in Safe Mode

That should get you started in the right direction.

Thanks for the help but I'm still getting the 5 minute splash screen. I ran the xp repair also and still having problems.

I'm considering reinstalling but I don't want to. Does anyone have any other clues as to what it can be??

Thanks

To remove the XP boot screen, in msconfig, click the 'BOOT.INI' tab at the top. In there check the 'NOGUIBOOT' box, then click 'OK'. You're done. I don't think it will solve your problem, but it's worth a try, hey?!

TMT. :cool:

You can always to a repair install of Windows, that usually works when all else fails. It wont erase any of your files, just do an over the top installation of Windows.

I yes, he did say that didnt he? I just skimmed for him saying a repair install, and he didnt say it, so I suggessted it. I should stop just skimming over posts like that.

If it did that from a clean install, I would say you have a hardware issue. Do you have any REEEEALLLLY old hardware in there? Might be a problem in your bios, try reseting that.

I trouble shooted all I could with no results so I went with another clean intall........everythings back to normal.

Thanks to all who helped

Bobbyray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom