Windows XP SP3 - Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrex

Baseband Member
Hello everyone.

Currently I'm sitting on a very horrible machine from 2004.
I will just paste my computer specs here. Please don't mock my horrible little baby, I'm fully aware it is an awful computer and I'm embarrassed that even my net book is a much better alternative for almost anything I do.

Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, 64MB, 75Hz
512MB SDRAM
P4 2.80GHz micro Page Ranking. @ 2791MHz

Yes, I actually play MMO games on this, believe it or not.. and this is actually a desktop computer. I reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP from its original boot CD around 9 weeks ago and I'm already noticing the computer is starting to act crazy again. Upgraded my video card online around 4 weeks ago which actually made it possible to play WoW for instance without much lag and noticeable reduced in game lag.The mouse sensitivity moves 100% without lag, but there are still issues with the graphics, as expected with a 64 MB VC that doesn't even have S-VHS support. >_>

Anyway, my question is. Right now I have Windows XP SP2 installed and I'm wondering this: Will SP3 be better or worse for me? I'm thinking that either the following updates will be too heavy and affect my computer in the opposite way than intended by eating up unnecessary memory, as my computer is getting really old - no hardware upgrades since I bought it. And it might not handle that SP3 update very well.

Or maybe the SP3 will be a good thing? Maybe the updates will be gentle on the computer and they will make a lot things better by actually helping rather than just adding a few new updates and features that will take too much load? I am really really not sure.

Another thing to add to this issue, is that I moved from a solid 100Mbit internet connection to using a 54Mbit WIRELESS connection. Since my computer is old, it doesn't have WLAN and I have to use one of those crappy adapters that sucks out like half of the connection. ~24Mbit is the best I can get and I'm noticing really bad difference from my previous internet connection. I also recently had to switch to Internet Explorer (!) as it seems per date to be my only RAM friendly alternative.

Before you mention other XP updates, I have been very good at updating from the regular windows live update service as I know not doing this is like asking for a dead computer. It's just THIS particular update I'm wondering about.

What is your suggestion about this situation? Do you also have any idea what I can do to make my computer better without having to buy any new hardware? I'm truly sorry if this post is somewhat messed up. I tried to write it as good as I could. And I will buy a completely new computer which will be 100% gaming supported - when I can afford it of course.

Thanks in advance! :)

The updates won't slow your computer and it will be better off with the service pack. The only problem that has occured is Windows crashing after the install. It happens fairly rarely however. You can easily reverse it if it happens anyway.

In short, install SP3.

Alright. It's kind of embarrassing to see how short and nice your reply was compared to my formulation of the question.. or well I did however also ask about basic suggestions for the computer in general.

Anyway, I will give it a short first thing when I wake up. I have used SP3 before but I wasn't too use if my computer was better off without so I waited to install just to see. But now it does look like I need it. Thanks for your quick reply. xx

Yeah I understand your concerns but SP3 really doesn't affect much else other than security and stability. No real performance hits of any kind.

When SP3 first came out, it caused me some problems, but it's been out for a while now. I installed it on an older system built for Windows Me and it seems to be fine now. I have yet to install it on my laptop, but I do have the iso sitting on the desktop waiting to be burned and installed.

SP3 is fine. Improved the performance a wee bit for me. Apart from that it just seems to be a stability/security update.

Hmm well it's settled then. Thanks a bunch for your replies, I will go install SP3 right about now!

SP3 is all the Windows updates bundled into one installer from when SP2 was released to when SP3 was released. and if your PC was updated regularly, you would already have the updates in SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom