Windows XP SP2 "Popup" Warning...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
After installing SP2, it immediatly started coming up. "Your computer could be in danger..." and lists unknown firewall and antivirus, and tells me I should enable auto-updates. Anyway, how can I get rid of that annoying thing? It comes up every time I restart my computer...and doesn't go away until clicking the [X]. I searched Google, but only found one answer and they wanted money...:)
thanks
X

Wanted money? I used to get this "popup" warning until I went into the Security Center and clicked "I have a firewall that I'll monitor myself" and now I don't get any popups.

Even if you don't have a firewall you can still get away with it if you keep it safe.

It's labeled "Windows Security Alerts", it has a small icon down in the bottom right that pops up that little window with the warnings. What you suggested fixed the virus and firewall problems, now it just says "Automatic Updates is turned off...click this balloon to fix this problem"...every time...how about that one?

thanks for the help!
X

Hmm, well I assume you don't want it to display the popup for Automatic Updates but actually DO want the updates from time to time?

If that's the case go back into Security Center and at the bottom of the menu, click on "Automatic Updates" which is under the "Manage security settings for:" menu. Once you're in there, you'll want to click on the second to last choice titled "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them." option.

This is what I have mine on since I don't like to automatically download anything unless I know exactly what it is. The next time Automatic Updates pops up it will give you the option to hide the updates (which essentially will just make never pop-up again unless you unhide them through the Windows Updates website.)

I hope that helps, SP2 can be annoying but once you get around it I think it works out for the better. Good luck!

Honestly, I wish I could kill that balloon box :p I don't want to be notified--I check it myself every so often, and that's enough for me. I just want that balloon to stop coming up :) Hehe...thanks for the help.

Ah ok that's an easy one then! Go back into Security Center, on the left hand side look for "Change the way Security Center alerts me" open up the box, and uncheck Automatic Updates!

No problem by the way, always willing to help someone that wants to try out SP2, lol.

just enable the firewall and automatic updates, and click on "ill monitor the anti-virus myself".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom