Windows XP SP2 - Explorer.exe not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
this is the extent of what i know about this problem:

there are four users on the computer. everyones works, except mine. my explorer.exe process, on loading, only has about half the icons on the desktop, the clock doesnt load, some of the icons cant load the image files (for the icon), and when i mouse over anything i get the full hourglass pointer. i have a lot of processes on my computer... im going to run antivirus, but even when i start up after editing msconfig for no startup processes, and i only have the vital 3-6 processes, i still get this problem. this is pretty annoying, because i have to do all my programs through the Task Manager, as with my file management (its hard to move files around while using the browse tool for New Task... :D)

any ideas on this? i cant figure it out. the weird thing is its only my user, everyone elses works fine.

also, i have 5 instances of svchost.exe running, and though i know one is essential for computer functions (ive tried and got the self destruct sequence popup after ending it), i also read that the other ones are probably trojans operating. how can i figure out which ones are bad and which one is good? because i dont want these trojans running :D

The fastest way may be to make you a new profile, double check to make sure its not happening to the new one, then copy over what you need and delete the old profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom