Windows XP SP2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Windows XP SP2

My OS = WinXP/Home - since February/2002. I just recently did a complete restore of my pc using the Restore CD. Of course, it wiped out all the updates I had installed over the years. Now I get this reminder from Win Updates each time I sign on. I did go ahead and reinstalled a few of them, but now there are so many more which I haven't yet installed. My question is this: I ordered the SP2 CD from Microsoft and just got it in the mail. I need to know if I go ahead and install the SP2 software, will it include all those previous updates? and will I still have to install all these daily updates which I keep being informed of? Trouble is, I don't know which ones are recent and which are the old ones since 2002. Would greatly appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yup, SP2 includes all updates and hotfixes up to when it was released (I believe it was released August of 2004).

Its a frigging Laptop, not a Labtop!!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the sp2 cd wil only install the critical updates from before....then go to the windows website and download the little ones you need.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I fail to see the problem.

Just go to windows update and update everything regardless if you have the SP2 CD.
<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search TF before you post!\"></form>
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 08-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

After you install the SP2 CD there will still be some updates that you will need to install. If you are on dial up it will take a while to download all of them i know this so do it a little at a time. Some are critical that should be done while others are not so you can do those later. The CD only installs the updates up to when it was released like bla and adam12 said.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread