Windows XP SP1: help me clear up some processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcat75

In Runtime
I am running windows XP SP1 and currently have 50 running processes.... please help me eliminate the un-necessary ones from this list.... I know the absolutley necessary ones are anti virus and firewall but I dont really know what the other ones do.... I dont wanna kill necessary ones by accident :confused:

processes.jpg

you have two chat programs open(Trillian, YPager), multimedia programs (winamp,iTunes), a file-sharing program(Shareaza) and some random software, others i've seen, others i haven't. first, close all programs that are running and you don't need. look in the system tray for icons you don't need. you shouldn't (and you can't) shutdown any processes used by the SYSTEM. you have a lot of unnecessary services running. go to Start->Run->type services.msc and disable services you don't use and don't want starting up.

also do a search online (i would but i'm sleepy and i'm leaning towards my bed) for a program called Startup.exe. its a nice little tool to configure your Startup items if msconfig is not an option(i.e. you're Windows 2000). if you can't find it, i'll put it on my ftp for you to get.

if my writing seems garblaed, please post any more question and i'll answer tomorrow.

goodnight and good luck!

try msconfig
also u may delete the unnecessary entries from the following registry folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Sofare>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run

maverick_teck said:
try msconfig
also u may delete the unnecessary entries from the following registry folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Sofare>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run

Just be carefull that you don't delete something that you are not suppose too that is a touching thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom