Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program When Your Computer Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_M63

Beta member
Hi,
Hope somebody can point me in the right direction..
I am trying to reinstall XP Pro (from CD) onto either of two HDs (one is Samsung 1Tb, one is WDCaviar 500Gb), and use the other as backup.
However I get stuck in this restart loop after the system reboots as part of the installation routine (i.e. after EULA, partition format etc,).
I have reset the BIOS to start from HD, have used two different install discs, two different CDROMs, .. same problem each time.
The advice from MS on this topic is to set the boot sequence to HD firstly (and if that does not work, remove the CD on rebooting), but this does not clear the problem.
Ought to add that I changed the mobo also, although have not yet resorted to trying a different CPU.
RAM is 2x1Gb generic DDR2, tested as OKJ by Memtest. (the 2 HDs are both also OK, according to disagnostic utilities)
Posting here, as I am really unsure whether I have a hardware or software problem.
Thanks,
Jon
Any thoughts would be gladly appreciated.

I assume these drives are sata. Are you using the proper drivers by pressing f6 while the xp disc loads and loading the drivers from a floppy? I'd make sure you have the right drivers. I've never installed XP to a sata drive so i'm not 100% on this.

EDIT: After doing some reading this may not even be necassary. Sorry If I'm just confusing you more.

So you get through the initial phase of the install right?

If that is the case just don't press anything when it says 'press any key to boot from CD.' Then the install process should continue. If it doesn't or it continues to restart anyways you probably have a bad install.

Try installing again.

are you using sata or ide cable hd if your using ide cable then set the jumpers on hds as one master and the other as slave and when you first install it from the cd and computer reboot then select the exact drive on which you have install the xp , may be this will solve your problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom