Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
I do not know how you feel about the current situation but I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed by the Service Pack Release spree that Microsoft seems to be in lately. Just a few hours ago they released the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh to the public which is available in Windows Updates.
It seems that one needed a special Registry key from Microsoft to download this new Service Pack Release Candidate for Windows XP. This is not necessary anymore, at least not on my end. The Service Pack 3 was offered to me even though I did not make the changes to the Registry.
The Service Pack 3 is also available right from the Microsoft website with a size of roughly 315 Megabytes. Only the English, German and Japanese updates are available right now but it surely will not take long until the two other languages (French and Spanish) are added as well.
The same website also contains the Registry key that needs to be added to Windows XP to download the Service Pack 3 in Windows Updates.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh

I take it the previous version of SP3 would have to be uninstalled first? Or do you know, O great mighty one?

You didn't actually expect me to go and read the link, did you? ;)

Actually, it was more of a "post for the benefit of others" type thing. I would read it before I install it.

Can anyone actually inform me as to why i would benefit from SP3?

When, from Microsoft, they state:

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates and hotfixes. It also includes select out-of-band releases, and a small number of new enhancements, which do not significantly change customers' experience with the operating system."

And by looking at the 'Overview' PDF document located here ( http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/7/687484ed-8174-496d-8db9-f02b40c12982/Overview%20of%20Windows%20XP%20Service%20Pack%203.pdf ) - i cannot see one single update that will benefit me.

last page under summary seems like the only reasons for downloading it.

sp3 would be nice for new installs of xp sp2 - no need to download serpate files just grab it from your server.

M$ wants people to move to vista, they are not going to try to make XP better.

strange for me. I have not been asked for register key. Maybe it need to give a call to the service center near you?

Can anyone actually inform me as to why i would benefit from SP3?

When, from Microsoft, they state:

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates and hotfixes. It also includes select out-of-band releases, and a small number of new enhancements, which do not significantly change customers' experience with the operating system."

And by looking at the 'Overview' PDF document located here ( http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/7/687484ed-8174-496d-8db9-f02b40c12982/Overview%20of%20Windows%20XP%20Service%20Pack%203.pdf ) - i cannot see one single update that will benefit me.
XP SP3 Fix List - TheTechArea.com

There are over 1000 fixes in SP3. IT is a normal SP just like SP1 was for both XP and Vista. It does not include any new features. What it does do is prevent you from having to install 100 or more updates when you freshly install XP again.

strange for me. I have not been asked for register key. Maybe it need to give a call to the service center near you?
You have to download the file from the site and then add the registry key that is contained to your system. from there you get the prompt from Windows Update to isntall it.

This is not a recommended thig to do folks. It is another refresh. It is still BETA. You will have to uninstall it and install the final when it gets released. If you have not used a Beta product before do NOT install this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom