Windows XP repair question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. I can't do that. Have to give a explanation on the difference. This way when the question is asked again there will be the answer already typed out.

Plus it shows the difference between a chkdsk and repair. ;)

i was just reading in "Warning! #1
Should you do a repair install and is it the best choice?"

i was just reading this:

Backup copies of your registry files (in the %systemroot%\Repair folder) are also replaced after the in-place upgrade is complete. Copy these registry backups to another location before you perform an in-place upgrade/Repair Install. You may need to use them after the in-place upgrade is complete.

It would also be a good idea to run the Files And Settings Transfer wizard F.A.S.T located on the XP CD.

what exactly r the registry files n why should i be concerned about it? Must i back it up as well, according to this guide?

I have never backed up my registry and i would not suggest a person to mess with the registry. That is for very advanced users as a wrong step could brick your system.

As i have stated i have had only 1 repair out of the thousands i have done gone wrong on me. I never backed up my registry. That is for the ultra paranoid people.

I have never backed up my registry and i would not suggest a person to mess with the registry. That is for very advanced users as a wrong step could brick your system.

As i have stated i have had only 1 repair out of the thousands i have done gone wrong on me. I never backed up my registry. That is for the ultra paranoid people.

ultra paranoid lol funny. Thx again!

That is just a disk check that you did. That is not the actual repair.

CHKDSK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That just checks the integrity of the disk and fixes any errors that there might be. Now if you went thru the actual repair process...

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

You would not be able to do it with a Home disk on Pro and vice versa. ;)

I hope that helps clean that up for you Chris.

Ah ok I thought i was doing a repair, thanks for correcting my ignorance.

It wasnt ignorance. It was just a simple mistake that is all.

Not a problem. Always my pleasure to help people out. Why i do this job. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom