windows xp reinstallation problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default windows xp reinstallation problems

ok so I was forced to reinstall windows xp recently due to a nasty system crash, but now i'm having problems getting to the login screen. i'm not sure how to describe my problem exactly, but here goes. windows will not even reach the log in screen except in safe mode which is how i'm using it now. every time windows is loading, as soon as the windows logo with the scrolling bar clears the monitor goes blank and goes to power saving mode. I installed and have been loading windows automatic updates and everything was ok up until I installed the SP2 update... I can run system restore and get to a point prior to SP2, but I know that I should be able to install it without this issue... any suggestions???

Old 01-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

google autostreamer. then slipstream sp2 into your xp disc and then install windows. never install sp2 on top of sp1.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

you know, it'd be nice if they'd build that stuff into the updates instead of us having to find out the hard way... thanks a lot, i'm gonna try it now
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
google autostreamer. then slipstream sp2 into your xp disc and then install windows. never install sp2 on top of sp1.
i have had so much trouble with this in the past but why is this?