Windows XP Recovery Console - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy Windows XP Recovery Console

One of the windows files (pci.sys) is corrupted and windows ask me to run setup to repair the file.

The file is fixed when i typed at Recovery Console: "expand e:\i386\pci.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\ /y". However, on restart, windows say another .sys file is corrupt. The process goes on a on -> everytime after a .sys file has been fixed, another one is corrupted. How do i fix all the .sys files in one go?

When i typed the command: "expand e:\I386\*.cab -F pci.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers". It says "Copy does not support wildcard."

Old 08-04-2006, 04:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

it's unusual for alot of sys files to become "corrupted" without reason. have you changed any of your hardware recently? can you not reinstall windows that would be a quicker way of doing it?

if you have changed some hardwere (ram causes this problem for me but that is not always the case) then try removing the new hardware and booting windows

My 100th Post

Oh Gay my sig got removed!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

your HD could be going bad
your ram could be going bad
malware infection
processor overheating, fan not turning or turning really slow.
Closed Thread