Windows XP programs install/uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

v930

In Runtime
I was wondering why when I uninstall some pograms and then go back and install them they still have the same settings in the options menu of the program. For example say I install a program and then go and modify the options and check a box that wasnt orignally checked. Then when I uninstall it I would expect for the settings to be reset but the boxs are still checked. Is it possible that when I unsinstall the program that there is some files left behind by the program? If so how can I remove them ?

Make a backup of your registry before you start deleting entries, incase you mess it up.

dnoch said:
Make a backup of your registry before you start deleting entries, incase you mess it up.

Or better yet, uninstall them and get regtweaknow or regcleaner. then run it and let it fix everything. Then run a search for the program name and delete the files it brings up.
-blitze

I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like you're deleting the program's folder in the Program Files directory. Most programs leave a small file that saves all the settings changes you made in case you ever reinstall it and want all the same settings back.

Try just deleting the folder out of the programs folder from the PF directory, or look in the documents and settings folder for any leftover files. I had major problems with that when I wanted to fully uninstall Firefox.

Static_11 said:
uh-oh... someone stole someones avator... *gasps*

I see this avatar all the time, also in sigs a lot. It's open source buddy
-blitze

PS
coulda just googled

The program 'remembers' this because it is reading registry files that it previously wrote. I recommend that if you want this not to happen that you get some sort of registry cleaner program (which I believe you can get from downloads.com.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom