windows xp problems with new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeanette

Beta member
I installed a new motherboard with new video, sound, nic but I was keeping my hdd and power supply, nothing wrong with them. I was unable to prepare the drive for the new hardware because I could not access the drive. The problem was the motherboard. When I fist started the system windows started but the mouse did not work so I shut down the keyboard way, connected a different mouse and when I tried to restart I got this error message. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.
Tried to start up with last known good configuration. Didn't work. Put in the disk to recover put got this error. A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. pci.sys. I did not want to format this disk I have too much data to loose. I got a new hdd and discovered I had to slipstream and create a new disk with sp3. That worked to install the new drive. However, I am not sure which way to go to get the data off of my other drive. Both drives are sata. I was thinking that I would get the boot.ini info from the new drive and start up the drive to command line and edit the boot.ini file that way. I want to transfer the data to the new drive but not sure the best way to do that. All advice is welcome

Well the problem is 2 fold. First comes the fact that you changed a massive amount of hardware in which XP didnt recognize so it wont be able to work properly. Next comes the fact that once you change your mother board that is considered a new PC in the eyes of Microsoft and requires you to buy a new license for Windows. This was changed back in 2006:

Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence.
Here is what Microsoft has to say:

“An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.”
The reason Microsoft gave for this term is that “Microsoft needed to have one base component “left standing” that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the “heart and soul” of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.”

So you will have to buy a new copy of Windows and install that you cant just take your old hard drive out. It would violate the End User License Agreement and be illegal.

I checked at Microsoft's site and the rule you are speaking of applies only to oem versions. I built the computer myself and this is an update version. I need to obtain the data on the older HDD. The method I am considering is to make the drive accessable by editing the boot.ini at the command prompt using the boot.ini file on the new drive. After which I can obtain the data using a file transfer program then format the drive. Is there a better way of doing this?

Yes that rule applies to OEM's. But you never stated if you have a retail version or OEM. Being updated or not doesnt matter. What does matter is the origin of the hard drive from what machine. That will constitute if you are eligible to transfer the license or not. If you took this hard drive out of a machine that is pre-built, then it is an OEM license. No matter if you built this machine or not. Also if you built the previous machine you had to purchase a copy of Windows. You could have purchased an OEM copy from NewEgg or any other store. So while it applies to OEM is still very relevant cause you dont state what machine you took it from. Until we know we cant assist you as it is considered a violation of the EULA until we can determine the origin of the hard drive.

I probably purchased this particular case 10 year ago. I purchased all the hardware at the same time. I purchased windows 98 separately. I usually buy my hardware from tiger direct and have replaced the hardware about 4 times. I have upgraded windows 98 with windows 95 then with xp. I purchased xp from the college book store. As I said before I have no interest in violating microsofts eula. I do not believe I am in violation. If you still believe that I am then I will purchase a new license and then ask for your help at that time. Jeanette

I didn't read all of the thread. All i read was you need to pull data off another drive. Purchase a 15 dollar USB / SATA / IDE converter. Connect the old drive to one end, connect the USB to your working PC and pull the data off.

Right click on My Computer select Properties. There should be a part that says Windows Activation. The Product ID will be listed below that. Is there an OEM anywhere in that string? If so then you got an OEM copy that cant be transferred. If not then you have a retail version. Which can be transferred.

I see a product number under regestered to and no references to oem. Thank you everyone for the information. Jeanette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom