Windows XP - Problem with Offline Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmManiPadmeHum

Beta member
This may be of interest, as I haven't been able to find any info on this issue on the web, as yet.

When docked after working offline the user receives the following error upon login (during file synchronisation):

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Errors ocurred while Windows was synchronizing your data

Offline Files (<file path> on <servername>): Unable to merge offline changes on '<file path>.' The parameter is incorrect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the user a new laptop, setup offline folders etc. All sync'd OK until the next day when customer came in and received the same error message.

I asked the user which files they had modified. They replied that they hadn't but had modified their offline settings by unticking the 'make availble offline' option on the properties dialog of a number of offline folders.

I then reinitialised Offline files:

Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
Offline Files
Hold down Ctrl + Shift while pressing 'Delete Files'

(Warning! This deletes all offline files and removes all offline file configuration - i.e. you will need to re-select what you want available offline).

I then made a small folder available offline.

To reproduce the customer's actions I undocked the laptop and started-up offline. Manually deselected this folder - so that it was no longer to be available offline.

Docked and logged-in. I recieved an error to say that the local version of the file was available and the network version was not - did i want to keep the local version, copy it to the network etc etc.

Actually, the opposite was true, as we had cleared the cached files and the network files had not been touched. I can only deduce that this irratic behaviour is another symptom, as well as that originally reported of changing offline settings whilst being offline.

Has anyone else come across this problem or can offer any more insight into this issue?

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom