Windows XP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
Hi guys... i was wondering if anyone of you guys can help me out. I have a Laptop with xp. the problem is that when i try to access "My Computers," it takes a really really long time to load the drives. c: d: and 4 others drives mapped to it. It takes about 5 minutes to load and after it loads, it takes another 5 minutes for me to get a a folder one level down. There are no other problems going on... I have eTrust anti-virus, ad-aware, and spy-bot with updated signatures. after running all of those, it didn't help at all... i also defragged, disk clean, and check disk but didn't help... i also tried to do a system restore but that didn't help neither.

What should i try to do next??

Thank you in advance..

Have you "unmapped" the other drives and tried?

If it stil does it with the mapped drives disabled, then I betcha you have a USB device (printer or scanner) that is foobar'd.

Let me know about unmapping.

I'll try unmapping the drives on the server and see what happens.. There are no USB's physically connected to the laptop though. printer and scanner is on the network. I'll still try to disable the mapped drives and see if it's better.. i'll let you guys know..

Thanks for the reply..

I tried unmapping all 5 drives and it does work now!!! When i tried to map them back, it was giving me problems again. does that mean that the laptop is old?? how do i fix this problem??

Someone please help...

Thanks!

If mapping it slowed it down so badly.. then i don't see why you should "map" it?

Maybe its just me..
-blitze

It's a old PIII and only has 1.8 gig left in the c:... I'm not quite sure about the RAM though maybe a 256? I was thinking that lack of memory would cause this problem right??

the laptop is part of a domain and i have to map the drives from the server... It's been part of the domain for 4 years and just recently started having this problem...

may be the network connection is slowing down? or just map one or two drives.. as you use them, admit it's a bit more cumbersome..

I tried mapping just one drive from the server and it's already slow. I also doubt that it's the network connection.

Does anyone know the reason why it's acting like this??? or maybe what would cause this to happen??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom