Windows XP Pro will not recognize SSD upon install

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi.

I recently purchased a 3-user license for Windows 7 upgrade. I believe I must first install a legit copy of Windows XP before I can upgrade to Windows 7. I tried to clean install Windows 7 from the upgrade disc and I cannot get that to work.

So, I tried to install my legit copy of Windows XP Pro. Problem is, Windows XP Pro somehow cannot recognize my SSD.

Can someone help me please?

Thank you,

Soar

Try having your SSD in a SATAII port instead of a SATAIII port (assuming that that's the case).

Why couldn't you get the upgrade key to work? I've never needed to do so since I have a bunch of non-upgrade keys but I was under the impression it wasn't too difficult to get working.

The trick is to install the upgrade but do not install the key. Then run the upgrade a second time and then use your key.
I'm not sure if I'm running into a grey area concerning the forum rules about this method, so you will need to google

XP lacks SATA drivers so you will encounter a BSOD when you attempt to install XP on that SATA ssd drive unless you set the SATA mode to IDE in the BIOS instead of AHCI. Even if you get XP installed, you still won't be able to upgrade it to Win 7 because XP to Win 7 upgrade requires a clean install.

As has already been stated, you can use the upgrade media to do a clean install of Win 7, install first but skip inputting the key, then do a reinstall and input the key the 2nd time around.

Back
Top Bottom