Windows XP PRO vs. 4 GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywhat5959

Baseband Member
Ok I have seen some threads started on this but no one has any knowledge on how to fix this other than upgrading to 64 bit XP or Vista.

XP pro with sp2 only shows up to 3 gb of Ram some cases show 3.5gb. I recently installed 4gb. Bios shows 4 gb XP Pro shows 3gb.

If anyone has a realistic work around that won't screw with the compatability issues can you please elaborate?

Here is the Microsoft link but does not suggest a fix.
The amount of RAM reported by the System Properties dialog box and the System Information tool is less than you expect after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

Thanks,

PAE...

nothing more than to research that...get a good grounding for what it means...

It's a hardware thing and not software, more or less...

your link may have led to somewhere to tell you how to work with it...adding switches here and there to something ;)

What kind of video card do you have. XP 32 Bit will only recognize 3-3.5GB of RAM that includes your Video Card as well. This is due to the limitations built in by M$. That is why everyone suggests to upgrade to XP X64 or Vsta 64 Bit cause 64 Bit does not have those limitations. Other than that you have no other options. XP 32 Bit will never recognize nor fully use your 4GB. Sorry.

Can I even upgrade to XP Pro 64? Here is what I have as far as processor and video card

PROCESSOR, PENTIUM 4 NORTHWOOD, 3.46, 2, 1066, SOCKET T

ATI GRAPHICS, 256, X850, UHMGA12

I checked the BIOS (DELL A07) and I thought under the processor tab it showed that I did not have 64 support. However I did speak with Dell and they said I should be able to run it.

Any ideas on how to switch over?

Well first get a copy of CPUz. It is free and easy to find. Just use Google. From there you run it and it will tell you if your CPU can do 64 Bit or not. That will tell you if you can do the upgrade to 64Bit.

The switch over...well that will be very complicated. As drivers, applications and mnay other things are not very convient to transfer between the 2 OS's. So my best advice would be to get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and backup as much as you can. From there do a fresh install of XP X64 and then re-install what you can and use your backups where possible. It wont be easy at all. I dont think you can just use a XP X64 upgrade disc and upgrade your current OS. I think that is impossible.

Well first get a copy of CPUz. It is free and easy to find. Just use Google. From there you run it and it will tell you if your CPU can do 64 Bit or not. That will tell you if you can do the upgrade to 64Bit.

The switch over...well that will be very complicated. As drivers, applications and mnay other things are not very convient to transfer between the 2 OS's. So my best advice would be to get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and backup as much as you can. From there do a fresh install of XP X64 and then re-install what you can and use your backups where possible. It wont be easy at all. I dont think you can just use a XP X64 upgrade disc and upgrade your current OS. I think that is impossible.

make sure you got to windows update if you use the file and setting tranfer wizard as it has a fix to make it compatible with xp64bit

I agree with Makaveli that's what it is, besides it is a marketing way for Microsoft. However, WHy do you need 4GB? 3.5 are enough.

I agree with Makaveli that's what it is, besides it is a marketing way for Microsoft. However, WHy do you need 4GB? 3.5 are enough.
I'm not even getting 3.5. I'm only getting 3g. I don't need the extra gig but I paid for it why not use it you know? So the general consensus seems to be do a clean install. Is there anything I need to do to the BIOS? It showed "64bit not supported."

Welcome to the world of 32 bit. ms lied because they said vista wouldn't have this issue, but the 32 bit one does

What kind of video card do you have. XP 32 Bit will only recognize 3-3.5GB of RAM that includes your Video Card as well. This is due to the limitations built in by M$. That is why everyone suggests to upgrade to XP X64 or Vsta 64 Bit cause 64 Bit does not have those limitations. Other than that you have no other options. XP 32 Bit will never recognize nor fully use your 4GB. Sorry.

wrong 64 bit does have a ram limitation its 120gb though

and its not a Microsoft decision it is unanimous amongst all 32 bit operating system you can't get an OS not even a linux 32 bit that will address more then 3-3.5gb of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom