Windows XP Pro Stalls during setup + Other issue PLEASE HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

larby

Beta member
Hi, I have Windows XP Pro, and I have a serious problem. I don't know exactly what the problem is but I can tell you guys what is happening. Out of the blue, my computer started to act very strange in the past week; it all started from what I thought was a semi-loud noise coming from my speakers. But they didn't blow out, all that happened was my computer froze. Ever since this happened, my computer regularly started to freeze, at no particular point really, it would just freeze. I updated EVERYTHING; I ran spyware checks the whole deal. I don't think it was a virus, I ran 3 virus checks, and my startup had virtually nothing except for Norton. So, the other day I decided that I was going to reinstall windows. I have two hard drives on the computer, one is a sata drive 300gig that I transferred all of my important documents to, and the other (the one that was running windows) is a 120gig drive.

Anyways, so I install Windows XP fine and dandy. I start doing some routine updates (graphics card, windows update, nothing to out of the ordinary.) After I restart the computer, for three times it would get to the loading screen (blue bar) and just freeze right away. After this happened, the computer would give me the error "no OS found" or something similar. I opened my computer and everything is secure and I also cleaned out all the dust. Reluctantly, I insert me XP disc, set it to load from CD... It starts to load its different files needed to proceed with installation (you know before it asks you to do anything all the stuff it loads) and then when it is done I presume the last step is at the bottom left where is says "Setup is Starting Windows" when it gets to this point, I assume my computer locks up because it doesn’t go anywhere after that point. My disc is completely clean and I have also tried my friend’s disc which I know for a fact works.

I am very eager to fix this problem and if anyone is willing to help me I would greatly appreciate it.

It sounds like a hard drive problem or RAM. See if you can get into the recovery console and run a chkdsk.

Not sure about your hard drive, just running a chkdsk to see if thereÂ’s any error or bad sector, other than that I would also try installing it on your 300gig hard drive. You can use memtest to check your RAM also, or if you have a more than one or a spare try switching them out.

Also another thing I like to do is just leave the bare minimum of hardware and reinstall windows. Take out or turn off any hardware that isn't necessary for installation, after installation seem stable you can enable or install one hardware at a time just to see maybe it might be something else.

use powermax (in my signature) to do a full format of your hdd. that would rule that out and clean any bootsector viruses.
run memtest86 to check your ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom