Windows XP pro question? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher
Default Windows XP pro question?

Does anybody know which part of the registry to edit for this problem I am having? Whats happening is that when I connect via the VPN and want to manually browse a network share by using the RUN command then say \\tds-bbr02\it and click ok it says unable to browse this location because the reference account is locked out. Now before SOMEONE here says “unlock the account bozo” Its not that simple ;-) The scenario is I used to be able to browse as mentioned above with no problems, but I made the mistake of having windows “remember” the user name and password. So when my password changed I have since then not been able to browse the network. There’s got to be a place in the registry that is holding this info and thus not prompting me for a user name/password, any help you can provide would be awesome!! Thanks!-Vince

Old 02-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

All u need to do is clear the password history in IE ..this will solve ur problem

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 03-01-2004, 04:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

this didnt seem to work..any other clues?thanks!
Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Has your password been changed locally or has it changed on the domain?

For this problem a registry edit is not needed. This is an authentication problem resulting from passwords not matching. This can be resolved simply but please answer the question above first.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to sutty777

go to tech-tv.com and download the LC4 code breaker program. You can put it on a floppy. It will search your system for all usernames and passwords.

You should have no problems then.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Getting the password off the local machine will not rectify his problem. He needs to sync the password on his local logon with the password on the domain. This will allow him to browse the network without any problems. If he don't want to change passwords any where then he can log onto the domain shares by typing \\domain\username (for username) and typing the domain password (for password). His current username and password on the local machine is not authenticating on the domain that's why he is being stopped!

Closed Thread