Windows XP Pro Bootup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obtruse_Man4

In Runtime
I've run across a weird problem with a XP Pro machine at work.

When starting the computer it says "User interface failure - replace the DLL or restore original DLL". When I press OK it says "Winlogon.exe - unable to locate component (the application has failed to start because ODBC32.DLL was not found)". I press OK, then it goes back to the first message.

Anyone ever heard of this problem before and know a fix for it?

can you logon to the machine or do the errors apprear before the machine gets to that point?

Sound like you might have some drive corruption. Could be that the section of the drive that the files are on is going bad. Insert the XP cd, repair console, run checkdisk /r on the disk. See what you get...

I can bootup the pc only to a certain point. I start the pc, it goes through the regular bootup process with the bios etc, and then it shows the typical windows xp bootup process screen. That takes about the usual time, but then it goes to a black screen for about 10 sec, and right after that I get the error. No option to login, or do anything else.

I ran chkdsk /r in the recovery console, and this is what I got:

C:\Windows> chkdsk /r
Volume created 08/01/03 12:21p
The volume Serial Number is c07c-9722
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery.
50% completed.
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
20322224 kilobytes total disk space.
13749920 kilobytes are available.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
5080556 total allocation units on disk.
3437480 allocation units available on disk.

slave the drive and get what you can off of it. The do a reformat of the drive and see if you can use it. It's possible that the filesystem went bad, but more likely is the disc going downhill.

Good luck

Hi....

Try booting ur system in the last known good configuration mode . Press F8 at startup to do this .
If it boots , install the recovery console from ur windows XP cdrom and try repairing it then .

If the system doesnt boot in LKGC mode, boot with ur windows xp cd (Make it as the 1st boot device ) and try doing the repair installation.
I suggest you not to go for a "format ".

Bye...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom