Windows XP partition gone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elkanviel

Beta member
Hello, I originally had XP installed for a few years now. For a small change I also successfully installed Ubuntu by partitioning my hard drive. When I start the computer it brings me to a screen with different OS's I can choose to boot into. I have had Ubuntu for a couple of weeks with no problem. Yesterday however, I started Windows up and got the "Blue Screen of Death". I continuously got this for a few tries. After going into Ubuntu to see partition data I found out that there is a warning about "Current Pending Sector Count" and that some sectors are waiting to be remapped. Not good.
On Ubuntu I am able to change partition size and view all files on my 80gb hd (that means the 75gb Windows partition included). Until about 30 minutes ago. Also, when I try to boot Windows again it doesn't even go to the Blue Screen, it just says no input found, as if Windows is not installed. I go back to Ubuntu and learn that my Windows partition is unallocated. I am led to believe that my files are corrupted as well as backup copies Windows tried to make on the Blue Screen. What am I to do?

What changes did you make to the drive in Ubuntu? without knowing that information the only thing we can say is hope you backed up as you will have to format and reinstall windows.

I sadly did not back up any files and had to reinstall Windows (and only Windows this time!). In Ubuntu, not only can you see files on Ubuntu, but on your whole hard drive.

BSOD is always caused because of driver conflicts. IF (and that's a big IF!) Ubuntu somehow changed the location of system files which you are implying, Windows would still be able to locate them.

The only thing you are currently doing is blaming Ubuntu for something you can't logicly explain due to a lack of knowledge of operating systems.

As far as the boot menu goes, that's just a script. It is of no importance to your problem. It just boots up first and that's it, just like windows used to boot up first when didn't have a boot menu. Just a script babe, forget it.

Although this may be a little more adept to use, you can install an application within Ubuntu that should recover the Windows partition, known as Test Disk.

I accidentally wiped my XP partition on my work laptop, which dual boots XP and Kubuntu. I installed TestDisk, hit a couple options, rebooted, and XP was back.

I'd give you more info but I'm at work and I don't have the saved links for it here, but look into it a while. It worked for me.

EDIT - Also - in Ubuntu, fire up GParted (install it if necessary) and see what GParted reads your Windows partition as. If it's unallocated or something other than NTFS, Test Disk is worth looking into before you nuke that partition and redo it from ground up.

BSoD's are not always caused by Driver Conflicts. They can be caused by so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom