Windows XP OEM Motherboard Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

azza_1992

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

I'll outline my current situation to make it easier for you to answer my questions.

I currently have 2 computers; Computer 1 and Computer 2. Computer 1 is a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with a 939 socket motherboard. It is running Windows XP Home OEM and is offline. Computer 2 is a 5 year old Intel Celeron with its appropriate motherboard. It runs Window XP Home OEM and is online. I'm sick and tired of using that dinosaur of a computer to do any task that requires the internet so I'm upgrading.

I'm taking the Intel Celeron, motherboard and RAM out of Computer 2 and throwing them out. I plan to keep the hard drive. I'm then taking the Athlon 64 and its motherboard and RAM out of Computer 1 and putting them in Computer 2, along with Computer 2's original hard drive. Computer 2's original hard drive is an IDE, and Computer 1's motherboard only has SATA ports. Because of this I've bought a SATA to IDE adapter. I've also bought a Intel Q6600, 775 motherboard and RAM to be placed in Computer 1, along with its current hard drive and video card.

Now, considering both computers are running Windows XP OEM and they are both getting a motherboard change, I am not sure what to do. I've been told that Windows OEM is licensed to the motherboard, and both hard drives are getting a new motherboard. I'd like to not have to reformat the hard drives but if I have to that's OK.

What should I do?

Well first off. Even without the Licensing thing to deal with by changing the hardware you will cause the hard drives not to boot. Can not use a hard drive from a Celeron with a Q6600 and expect it to work flawlessly.

Windows has a hardware profile that it keeps. Drivers that it stores for use. You are going to be changing that. So right there alone you will have to either repair the XP install to get the new hardware recognized or you will be stuck doing a fresh format.

That isnt even taking into consideration the fact that you cant transfer the XP license like that and what you would be doing would be against the Windows EULA.

Cheers,
Mak

I thought that was only changed with the Vista OEM license. I'm pretty sure that with the XP license, you are allowed to change your hardware, but you'll just have to reactivate it. The OEM license wasn't tied to the motherboard until Vista came out. The only thing that matters with XP is that your copy is only on one computer at a time.

As for changing your hardware and still using the same hard drive installation of XP, I have done it many times without issue. I used to frequently change my hardware, sometimes changing almost all of it at once. I never had to do a repair install. You will have to have drivers for everything new on hand, though. Especially make sure you have drivers for your motherboard with the new network adapter, and your new video and audio drivers. Even though it doesn't usually cause conflicts to have extra unused drivers installed, I usually used to uninstall all of my old drivers of the hardware I was going to change before taking the drive out of the old box.

If you try to transfer your XP install to a SATA drive, you can expect for it to not work, though. But if you just continue to use your EIDE drive, you should be able to get it to work.

When I place the hard drive from the Athlon system into the semi-new one with the Q6600, even though it won't boot, if I put the disc in the optical drive, can I prompt it to repair install Windows? Where does that leave my with drivers, will they prompt me to install them during the repair of do I do it afterwards. Then when it comes to the activation/serial number can I ring up Microsoft explain my situation and see if they can give me another one? From my limited knowledge that seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for your help so far.

Technically no. Changing the mother board is considered a new PC. Even by Microsoft's standards. Which requires a brand new purchase of Windows.

You will have to uninstall and install new drivers. Most should get installed with a repair install. But i will tell you now. Calling Microsoft will not get you help. They will tell you exactly what i have said. New mobo = New PC = New Windows.

You will have to make something good up to get them to reactivate your XP.

Cheers,
Mak

I honestly don't believe that's the case with XP. I know it is with Vista OEM, but back when I used XP I changed my motherboard multiple times with the same XP installation, and I never even had to call it in. It activated just fine doing it the standard way over the internet. And yes, I was using an OEM version that I bought and installed myself.

The license didn't become tied to the motherboard until Vista.

I'm not just saying what I think is right; I've done it many times.

Forrest you are thinking of the amount of times it can be activated. You are right. XP OEM can be activated 3 times. Which means you can get around changing hardware and actually activating it on several machines.

But according to the EULA and TOS of Windows a new mobo means a new PC which would equal a new copy of Windows. It was the same even for XP as it is for Vista. A new PC means a new copy of Widnows. Many of us know ways around it but that is the way it is supposed to be. That is the LEGAL way of doing it. The way to do it and still be within the rights of the EULA and TOS of Windows.

Per the EULA of Windows.

• Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Product on a single computer,
such as a workstation, terminal or other device (“Workstation Computer”). The Product may not be used by
more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
\\Another one as well.

4. TRANSFER—Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you
must completely remove the Product from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial
user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to another end user. The transfer has to include
all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity.

Plus there are articles all over the net which state what i have.

Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence - Aviran's Place

An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer” to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer.

So yes this affects XP and no he can not just transfer it. Like i said we know the ways around it. But technically he should buy a new copy of Windows. As that is what is stated by Microsoft.

Digg - Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence

The Digg article. This was done 2 years ago even before Vista was out. So while you and I know how ot get around it and how to get our XP activated on a different system. Technically he should buy a new one. As i have said.

Well, to quote the portion that you quoted:
TRANSFER—Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you
must completely remove the Product from the former Workstation Computer.
It says that you can move it to another computer as long as you remove it from the former computer.

As for the changes in the EULA, both of the links you gave are for the same article, which is not a Microsoft source, but some blog that I can't see as being reliable. The main changes I've seen to the EULA for OEM XP are to close loopholes so that companies can't sell an OEM copy with a ribbon cable and say that it is being sold with hardware.

Until you show me an actual MS source for that particular change being made to XP's EULA, I'll have to be skeptical.

Your right Forrest how silly of me to not show my proof.

Bink.nu | New motherboard, new Microsoft Windows license? - Bink.nu
Mindblogging Stuff: Upgraded motherboard = new computer, says Microsoft
Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows License ~ Windows Fanatics
MS: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence [Archive] - techPowerUp! Forums
Ced's Files: Microsoft: New Motherboard Equals Purchase of New License
Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Licensing Changes to Windows Vista
New motherboard, new Microsoft Windows license? - PC Help Forum - Free Computer Help, Windows, Hardware, Software and more!
Flexbeta - New motherboard, new Windows license?
Roxio Community > New Motherboard, New Windows License?

Cause no other site on Google when searching for this brings up any sources. Did i post up enough sites yet with the same exact information that i have said? There is no article on Microsoft.com as i have searched. But if you really wish i will contact my MVP Lead and get the wording directly from a Microsoft source if i didnt post enough sources for you. I think that 10 sources that all say the same thing should be sufficent.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

bottom of the page. Direct from Microsoft. OEM wirh mobo replacement requires new license.

Ok, I apologize. But I do remember a time when I said something about Windows 7, and I gave lots of sources, and you didn't believe it because none of my sources were directly from MS. But I will cede and stop arguing with you about it.

Honestly, my experiences took place before February of 2006 when those changes were announced, and I didn't know about those changes.

But to the OP, I will say that if you try to do this even if it's not the honest way to do it, you'd better make backups of your important files in case you do have to end up reinstalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom