Windows XP Not Booting. Tried many fixes already! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using chkdsk on a different version of Windows doesn't matter. I've used a Windows 7 Recovery Disk to do a chkdsk on an XP laptop. Unless you're trying other system repairs, then it matters. Chkdsk, doesn't matter.

and like KSoD said, we need the STOP code its giving you. If you're getting errors when booting from the CD though, then it's possible there are other hardware problems, or the disc you burned is bad.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll have to try to get my hands on another cd to try it out.

To answer your questions: The BSOD that came up was different than my original one. The STOP Code this time is: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I am booting from the cd, and it is asking me the way KSOD described. It asks me if I want to boot from a cd, and I click any key to do so. I'll keep trying. I greatly appreciate everyone's help so far.

The stop code still seems to be a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. Any other suggestions or tips on what I should do? I'll keep trying to access the recovery console and hope it doesn't blue screen out before I reach it. Thanks again everyone.

There is nothing else you can do. As i posted back in post #7, which came directly from Microsoft, you have to run chkdsk on the drive to make sure that there are no problems with the drive.

Bumping your topic to ask for advice on what else to do will not get you anywhere. You have to get past the 1 thing that is suggested by multiple members and from the creators of the OS itself in order for us to proceed.

If you cant then there is only 1 other option. Use Ubuntu to get your personal data off the drive and scrap the drive. Get a new drive and reinstall Windows. That will be the only thing that can be done. Cause you wont be able to reinstall if you cant get to the Recovery Console. So that just leaves getting a new drive and starting over that way.

Ok thanks KSOD. Sorry, I wasn't trying to bump. Just annoyed with the issue of my friend's laptop. I appreciate all of your, and everyone else' assistance with this problem. Hopefully I can help someone out in the near future. I'll definitely be back and look forward to looking through the forums. Thanks again and have a great night.

Ok everyone, I know you are probably more than sick of me. I just have one more question to ask. The only disc I can finally get to boot on the system is my old Vista cd. When it boots, I can click on the repair your computer option. I cannot access system restore, and start-up repair doesn't seem to work either. However, when I access the command prompt and try to do a chkdsk /f or /r it tells me the drive is write protected and it won't do one. When I just type chkdsk, it goes through a 2 second chkdsk that says no errors were found. It doesn't seem right. So is this really bad? Thanks again and sorry to be a pain.

Since you're using the Vista repair option type in this:

chkdsk c: /f /r

Note that you have to specify the "C:" drive.

Yea, I was wondering about that, it seems to be stuck on x:\ even when I tried to switch to c:\ But I will definitely do what you just said right now. Thanks so much!

Carnage! Thank you very much! The chkdsk is working! I can't thank you enough. I greatly appreciate it. Here's hoping this is the last of my problems with this laptop.

Yeah, X: is a "virtual" drive basically; it's loaded into the RAM so operations can be performed.

And not a problem, glad to help ;).

I'm at a loss. The chkdsk finished and and said it fixed the errors to the hard drive. I then restarted and Windows still will not boot. It is still stuck on the Windows XP logo loading screen. I also still get the BSOD when I try to boot from UBCD.

Isnt getting the XP loading screen much further than it was before? Why are you still trying to use UBCD? For all you know it could be what is causing the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSoD in the first place. chkdsk is not going to fix the install. It is a tool to check the drive for errors, also known as bad sectors, and then fix those problems. It will not cause your system to start working after it is finished. There is more work to be done. Nothing in the computer world is a 1 step fix all.

You need to run chkdsk, give us the information that it says. After that we will guide you on what steps to take next. Your trying to go from step 1 to step 30 without doing anything in between. After you run that again, you will have to try using the fixboot and fixmbr commands in the Recovery Console.

I've always been stuck at the Windows XP logo loading screen, since the beginning of this problem. Any cd I put in before the Vista disc (That ended up working) caused an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSoD. I was taught by my boss at the PC Shop I worked at a year or so ago that this was a good way to fix many problems. I have had success on others computers using UBCD, even some which had this same problem. I understand there is more work to be done and I'm preparing myself for it.

I ran chkdsk again and this time no errors were found, understandably. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. Except: "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50." Otherwise, it says:

243135710 kb total disk space
18869208 kb in 119135 files
49232 kb in 9204 indexes
0 kb in bad sectors
143510 kb in use by the system
4096 kb occupied by the log file
224073760 kb available on disk

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
60783927 total allocation units on disk
56018440 allocation units available on disk

Is this what you were looking for? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom