Windows XP - Non-System Disk error - Last known good config after EVERY reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephyx

Beta member
Ok, here goes...

I have windows XP Professional.

A few days ago I restarted my PC and recieved the "Non-System disk error" instead of a clean boot into windows.

If I select "Last known good configuration" I can get into windows just fine, but as soon as I reboot again I get the same error every time, and so every time I must use "Last known good configuration".

I tried Chkdsk and it didn't find anything.

I ran a system restore to a backup point long before the problem started happening but I still have the same issue.

Another strange thing is I can boot into safe mode but the screen is all distorted, almost as if it was a bad video card / video driver. But when I use last known good config it has no such graphical problems.

(I would try rolling back to a previous video driver but I can't boot into safe mode to properly roll it back, as I have heard rolling back a video driver while in standard mode can cause problems.)

I really don't want to mess around with the recovery console just yet as I know I can get into windows, it's just a hassle to select last known good config EVERY time.

The one thing I havent tried yet is running the Windows XP Pro setup CD (Booting from it) and letting attempt to do a repair installation to hopefully fix any bad system files.

Has anyone else run into this that could provide me with some assistance?

First the painfully obvious question: is there a disk in any drive that Windows may be reading as trying to boot from? (My high school english prof would kill me over that sentence) Do you have the drivers for your video card on a cd or floppy? if so, reinstall them. Have you installed any new hardware or software that may be causing a conflict? If so, uninstall and try again. Can you log off and log on (without rebooting) without any problems? I would backup everything you want to keep to cd/dvd before trying the repair install. But you can give it a shot. Personally I have spent more time trying to find and fix some problems than it takes to format and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom