Windows XP MC 05 Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloo2

Solid State Member
This is my first post here

I did a search for black screen, which is the problem I'm having, but have not found a similar situation. Any other hints would be appreciated.

Not sure about terms but when I say recovery that means reformating, and restore means reconfiguring to previous settings.

I've got an HP box with XP Media Center 2005 (with all current updates as of 1/18/06) installed, that was first turned on Xmas day. This problem first happened to me last week.

When I turn on the computer, I see a blue HP screen with the options of pushing F1 for BIOS options or F10 to perform a system recovery from my recovery partition on my HD. Next, the screen blacks out at the point when I normally see the Windows loading screen. I've let it sit for about 20 min with no result. I'll turn off the computer, let it sit for a few, and then turn it back on. I still see the blue HP screen, but next it says "Windows failed to load" and provides me with some options. I've tried "Restart Windows from last successful settings" but I still have a black screen. When I load any of the 3 safe mode options, Windows loads and I'm able to save, perform system restore, or even get online, but all still in safe mode.

I restored my computer through Safe Mode to the point when I first turned on the computer. I managed to get Windows to load normally, but I decided to go ahead and perform a complete system recovery.

During the time that I was having problems with the black screen, pushing F10 to perform a system recovery would go to a screen with a bar that would fill to 100% showing progress of the Recovery initiation and then go black. When I finally got Windows to load and got the recovery program to load completely, and I reformatted everything.

I spent the next few hours downloading all the driver updates and etc.

Today, I get out of school, turn on my computer, and see the return of the problem.

I've already sat on the phone for 2 hours with HP Customer Service, and while they were nice, they were useless. We ended our conversation with them trying to sell me a restore disc for $30. I don't think that the restore disc would do anything different from the one that I made when I turned on the comp (and that didn't help during the ordeal). I think this is a problem with the OS, but I'm not sure.

Today (1/19/06) I can load it into safe mode, and I've restored the settings to the day when I reformatted everything, but I still cannot get into the HP recovery program at boot up.

Once again, I've written a partial novel about my issues, but hopefully the info can help someone help me.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you boot from the 2 disc that you have burned? even if it not acting right and following through?

no, I've had the disc in the drive when I was experiminting with everything, but it had no effect.

Warez Monster said:
have you tried a repair?

what kind of repair?

FYI: computer was bought for xmas present, first turned on xmas day, and under 1 yr warranty

turn off computer. unhook your hdd and memory. clear your cmos (take battery out and hold power button for 6-7 second or use the cmos jumper). put the battery back in. turn on comp. without the hdd and ram.

it won't load. it should beep a few times. turn it off and on again (repeat the process). now turn it off and hook te hdd and ram back up. turn it on.

you should be able to access things lke system recovery and maybe boot into windows if it isn't corrupted now

bloo2 said:
what kind of repair?

FYI: computer was bought for xmas present, first turned on xmas day, and under 1 yr warranty

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom