Windows XP login problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loops

Beta member
Did an antivirus scan, detected a virus, cleaned it and was then prompted to restart the system.
When I turned the system back on, I type my password into the login screen, then after half a second, it logs me back out.
I have tried starting in Administrator mode, safe mode and last known working settings, they all do the same. Log in for half a second then log straight back out.
It's a legit copy of Windows, but I have no idea what has happened to the boot discs.
It's driving me mad, anyone help me, please?

do you even have time to do a system restore? when you boot in safe mode you can choose to do a system restore and restore your system into previous state. If the virus messed up your system restore points then you are screwed and might have to do a clean install

Doesn't give me time to do anything. Admin doesn't require a password, when i click login, the screen goes blank for a split second then logs straight back out.
There are some solutions around the net talking of using a boot disc to access system32 and edit the registry, but I can't find my XP disc anywhere.

so you have tried to log into the computer under the administrator account.

Do you have a friend with an xp disk you could borrow because you will most likely need to use the recovery console or do a repair install.

Does this describe what was goin on with your computer?
Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar

That's it, the logon logoff loops I am stuck in.
Could the XP disc be any XP disc? Will I be reinstalling windows or will the disc just be gaining me access to the pc?

It needs to be either home or pro depending upon what you have.

Ideally you would follow the steps outlined in the link using the recovery console.
If that does not work you would do a repair install which would keep your data and programs intact.

Worst case you would need to do a full reinstall using the cd key on your case.

It needs to be either home or pro depending upon what you have.

Ideally you would follow the steps outlined in the link using the recovery console.
If that does not work you would do a repair install which would keep your data and programs intact.

Worst case you would need to do a full reinstall using the cd key on your case.

Thanks or your help mate, will try and find myself an XP disc.
Sorry to sound dumb, but what disc is it I'm looking for? I'm going to presume I have got XP home, is it just a boot disc or an installation disc? Or are they the same:confused:
Lac of knowledge is shining through here.

i think the virus changed your registry>
first connect that computer to a network and on a properly computer open registry and connect to your changed registry then go to Key Local Machin==>Software==>Microsoft==>Window NT==>CurrentVerson==>WinLogon and find the key Userinit and change the value of it to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Userinit.exe
hope can help you!

Note:

or you can copy the file Userinit.exeto C:\WINDOWS\ in the PC that have problem through the network.

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom