Windows XP Installer not Creating NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

st00ner

Beta member
well, i am normally a Linux/BSD user, but for gaming i needed windows to play some games that didnt work with Cedega.

I just tried to install WIndows XP Pro OEM with SP2, but when i selected Create Partition, it created a raw partition and wouldnt create NTFS(yes, i didnt create inside my Extended partition, i used a primary partition). i looked around for free tools to create NTFS partitions, but couldnt find any.

Is this problem because i am using Grub as a boot loader(it modifes the MBR)? Or does windows not like the fact i have free software on my computer or dual booting potential and simply wont say it up front?

Also, the hard drive i am trying to boot from is the second one, and it is SATA if it makes a difference, while the other one is IDE. I have installed XP before when the harddrive was blank also. Im guessing it is the MBR that is the problem

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!

ok so your on the windows installer screen, and you see the free space that you want to install windows into. you create the partion by pressing C and it creates a "raw" partion with the amount of space you desire. you then press enter to install windows into that raw partion and you get a screen that says

format FAT32 quick
format NTFS quick
format Fat32
format NTFS

and then you format it the way you want it and the install begins.
where exectly did it go differently for you in those steps?

next you only running off the cd at this point and directing windows where to go so it doesnt really know about your Grub boot loader for linux or your free software.

Also i dont know which linux you used but i had Red Hat 9.0 installed then i installed windows XP pro and when i did that windows kinda erased the linux boot loader and gave me some trouble. this was some time ago tho. just something for you to look out for.

when i tried to install to the partition it would say something along the liens of "cannot install to a raw partition". it simply refused to format it.
I use DesktopBSD 1.0 and Ubuntu Linux 6.06 and GRUB as my boot manager

ok now did you make the partion inside of linux ? cuz i know linux formats them as vfat and ext2 and ext3 and so on, so if you set the partion aside with linux software windows will not be able to read it, cuz yes it is raw but its raw in the wrong format. its only what i may assume at this point. your best bet would be to get your hands on partion magic or something similar and create the NTFS partion with that software then try to reinstall windows on that.

I bet when you installed lunix you create a partition that cover over the 8mb partition table for windows.

the more that I think about it, that exctly what you did, I remember doing that when I install vista with my mce 2005. the media center worked but when I check the partition with partition tools it was reading raw. I deleted the vista partition, reinstall it and created a new one (I made sure that I left 8 mb unpartition partition table at the beginning or the end of the harddrive unpartitioned) and all was fine

ahhh thanks for the replies,
i will try reformating my entire computer, and installing windows first. (i have a shrared home partition between BSD and Linux so i wont lose anything)

st00ner said:
ahhh thanks for the replies,
i will try reformating my entire computer, and installing windows first. (i have a shrared home partition between BSD and Linux so i wont lose anything)

if you delete the lunix partition, it will revert back to ntfs if you hadn't deleted it (ntfs partition) yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom