Windows Xp install

Status
Not open for further replies.

neplusultra

Beta member
hey, thanks in advance.

i've got an ugly problem. i have a seagate hard drive (80gigs) it used to have win2000 on it. i ran my xp disk from win2k but it didnt install over win2k and created a dual boot. so i set my pc to boot from the cd-rom and used my winXP disk to clean out this dual boot and reformat the drive installing winXP. however, when XP go's to install, it loads all the stuff after it formats the drive then reboots. it says it will continue after the reboot however it doesn't it go's back to the windows set up and wants to start over. how can i get XP on my harddrive? i dont have a floppy.

thanks much,

Keith

Try booting without the CD and then when if it asks you fot the CD put it back in.

i tried that and the pc doesn't do anything, and when i set it boot normally and not from the cd-rom it keeps truning off and on. it shows the drive as ntfs at about 76gigs.

i think so, i mean its my XP disk. and yes my pc was configured to boot from the cd, that is when i went to install xp. when i put the settings back to normal in the bios it just shuts of and turns on over and over again

During the reboot, the computer asks you to hit any key to boot from the CD..... DON'T. It will then boot up from the HDD and continue installation.

I have this problem too - driving me nuts. I don't get the option 'press any key' - it just reboots and then searches for the boot info - it doesn't take it from the C: drive even though I know the files are there - it searches for the other boot devices - in this case, the CD drive.

When I remove the CD and wait, it just returns a 'boot disk failure, insert system disk' and won't reboot until I place the CD back in and we're back to the start......IT WON'T BOOT FROM THE C: DRIVE even though installation has placed the relevant files there.

1. The HD is identified correctly in the bios
2. It is on IDE 1 as master - no slave
3. The computer is fairly new and no hardware has been added/altered
4. A virus meant that I've had to reinstall XP once before - but there were no problems then!
5. Have tested the WD hard drive using their utility - all fine
6. I have tried unplugging CD/DVD drives to see if that would remedy the problem and force a boot from C: - no
7. The install sequence gets as far as partitioning/formatting/writing installation files to C:/reboot 'setup will continue when computer restarts' NO!!NADA, nothing.....I'm fed up.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom