Windows xp incredibly slow... need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul89

Baseband Member
I just installed Kaspersky antivirus and had to manually recover windows files. I after uninstalled kaspersky and also used a utility to completely uninstall it. But my computer is really, really, really slow. I can barely listen to music while I surf the web. Does anybody know how to fix this problem.
I am running on:
  • amd duron 1.6 ghz
  • nvidia fx5200
  • Creative soundblaster 5.1
  • 256 meg ram
thanks-Julian

ps. If it is not possible to fix this problem I would like to know if I would get better performance using xp or an earlier version like ME or 98 or even linux (which distro if linux would be a better choice than windows)

-thaks again

look at all ur running processes, and see if you can end some. then go to Start > Run > msconfig >startup and uncheck everything you don't need. If you don't know what something is, Google it before you uncheck it. This should do something to fix the problem.

i already did that before, have scanned my pc for spyware, ran registry cleaners/repair, gotten rid of unused files, including recycle bin, temporary files, and others, i have also ran hd defragmenters, and system utilities, antivirus and others.... nothing works.....what to do....

your hd usage could be part of the problem. i doubt its the ram (but still could be part of the problem), because 256 should be ok

thanks for your help but I know a lot about computers but this one totaly stumped me, it wasnt spy-ware, it wasnt a virus or a driver problem then what was it?.
Apparently it was the battery on my motherboard. It was running low on batteries and it was able to slow my computer down so much that i couldnt even listen to music. but it is fixed now... thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom