Windows XP Home vs XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrower

Solid State Member
Hi all. I have a couple of questions about windows XP. I have windows XP Home on my computer right now ( SONY VAIO) and am thinking of upgrading it to XP Pro since my brother has the installation disk for it.

My first question is: is XP pro that much better in terms of performance vs. the home edition?

Secondly my computer came with XP home and if I install XP pro will I loose the programs my computer came with that are unique to the Sony Vaio? Things like. “Vaio pictures, movies, games, office” ect?

Thanks for any information.

-Thrower

no there is no difference in how it runs- there are more uses for networking in major corp. that is why business uses pro instead of home and its also more for advanced users also

If you do install Pro onto your system if you just do an upgrade you will not loose your programs that are on your system so it is safe to do it

you can't just borrow you brother's xp pro CD as you have to have a separatelicense to use it. if you try to activate it it may work, just don't do that too many times. read up on activation on microsoft's website.

What happens if you don't activate it? Because i have XP pro for my computer and it is not "good" and i have never had any problems with it.. So if could let me know on this question of mine

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I will stay with my current version of windows XP. It seems that my computer is slow to boot after it has been restarted or shut off. It takes a while to open windows. Not bad but about twice as slow as when I first bought the computer.

Is it possible I have too many programs that open up on start up? When I look at my start-up menu I have 24 items checked. Once windows has opened my computer runs flawlessly. I want to turn off some of the programs on the start up menu but am unsure as to which ones I need for my computer to run properly. Any info on this long winded question would be very helpful:)

As for my system it is a Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz. It also has 768 MB-DDR Ram and an 80 Gig hard drive that still has 70GB free space.

can you tell me how many Start up app you have that can be causeing it and there are some tweeks that you can do to you xp system buy going here www.tweakxp.com. And you can stop some of your program by going in to MSCONFIG and to get there go to "start>run>type msconfig>then start up tab> uncheck the programs that you have installed on your machine that you think that doesn't need to be loaded that will help you on your boot up

Or just run Spybot and in the TOOLS > SYSTEM STARTUP just untick anything you dont want to start at boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom