Windows XP home - SAFE mode crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macabre4

Solid State Member
Hey guys and girls,

On the edge of my computer chair tearing my hair out trying to troubleshoot my girlfriend's SAFE mode problem...

On boot I am given the prompt to press F8 for safe boot, that works, I get to the screen for boot options for SAFE mode ie :

SAFE mode no network
SAFE mode with networking
SAFE mode with command prompt

etc,

however, upon selecting any of the modes that are listed windows attempts to boot into the desired SAFE mode, gets as far as the screen where the critical windows components load, (usually at the bottom says press spacebar to not continue loading SPTDs.sys) it does not show that particular prompt .. and then just restarts.

If anyone knows what may be happening would be greatly appreciated, even trying to use msconfig to auto restart in minimal safe mode doesn't work.

If you have a XP CD try a repair install. That is a Windows component which should be fixed witha repair install.

Ok,

Thanks for the heads up, I will attempt that.. although it is again in this case, I'm not very savvy with the repair install selections, so maybe I will google my butt off to find all possible fixes and commands from within the repair install proc, or maybe someone knows of an exceedingly good tutorial for repair install instructions, a link to that would be more than helpful. I just don't want to end up with an 'accidental' extra root directory which I have heard is quite easily installed through a mis-informed repair attempt.

Mis-informed as in, I am noob at that, and don't like two windows installed on one comp. Probably paranoia, but that is easily overcome by a light flame tutorial from someone here.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom