Windows XP Home Crash (running Knoppix) HEELP!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Windows XP Home Crash (running Knoppix) HEELP!!

Hi everyone Here's a sad story you've read 100 times. I took my WORKING computer into the shop to test the video card, and they said windows had device manager errors and they would need to wipe it and start over (for $150 UNDER WARRANTY!) GREAT! I said no way and took it home. NOW it won't even START in Windows! Returned to the store and they replaced the Motherboard in "good faith". Whatever, still won't start.

So I loaded my knoppix CD to save my Data they were going to charge $45 to save. My question is :

WHAT KIND OF DIAGNOSTICS CAN I PERFORM FROM KNOPPIX?? I know how to do the Hijack this procedure, but will that software work from this OS? Or do I even need it?

Old 12-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

why don't u just reformat it urself after you get ur saved data from knoppix? or just try a system restore with your windows cd and not the full reformat. also why the **** would the replace the motherboard if windows wasn't starting?? sure i could see the device error but i dont think that it would be the motherboard probally a bad driver or something like that. you would think the motherboard would be one of the lasts thing you would replace.

- Welsh
Old 12-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

well first of all knoppix is free. It can save your data. its like a bootable operating system on a cd.

did you try last known good configuration? can you get into safemode?
Old 12-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

erd commander 2005 will access your system restore files
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 12-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Tried to reboot to windows safe mode, and last known configuration, & regular, but it shows a video card screen (just installed) , and Hyper 2200 (motherboard?) then back to start options (safe mode, etc.). Maybe the video card was the cause of all this?

They replaced the motherboard because the computer wouldn't beep (upon startup). I don't have the system CD to reboot windows, but a friend does, and he said I could use it. All I have to do is find the product Key and I'll be good. I still think they did something to my windows, so I would have to re-purchase.

Also, If I download some drivers for the video card, maybe windows will boot up? Just a wild guess.
Thanks for your help

I'm also looking into erd commander 2005 to see what I can do with that. Thanks for the tip!! PC World link doesn't work for me, is it because of knoppix? Do you have a good link for this program? Thanks again...
Closed Thread