Windows XP history file? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Windows XP history file?

How do I delete the Windows history file? Or more so where is it? Also will deleting it cause problems with some programs? Why is it even there?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Windows XP history file?

The history file is just for the locations you have been thru Internet Explorer for the las 20 days. It can be removed by going into the Internet Explorer tools. Right on the screen that pops up you will see history there. Just delete it and then go into the settings and change the time limit to 0 (Zero) to stop it from saving.

This is there for several reason. 1. Businesses can spy on thier workers making sure they dont go to sites they are not supposed to during work hours.
2. Parents can check on thier kids for pretty much the same reasons.
3. Some people like having the history so they dont have to bookmark or remember all the sites they visit.

It is stored in the App Data folder which is hidden by default. Deleting it isnt possible. It will give you a error saying it is in use. Trying to force delete it will give you problems. Just do what i said above and it wil be as gone as it can be. Also using CCleaner will get the job done as well.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Download and install CCleaner (it's small and free). It will clean up all of that, plus a whole lot else. If you are worried about someone retracing where you've been online, you definitley want CCleaner.

You can find it on a lot of download sites. I prefer majorgeeks.com myself.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 01-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

windows has some other history files. I forgot what they are called.

evidence eliminator will get rid of it
Old 01-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post

evidence eliminator will get rid of it
Nope it doesn’t. Already tried.

It cannot be deleted through IE because its the "Windows" history file not the IE history file. It has nothing to do with IE. Its a file that shows every file opened, every web site visited, and every application executed.. Its the Windows history file. Its a history of what you have done in Windows. This is the file I am looking for. Its probably the largest history file on your computer.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Alright i just went thru my entire PC from top to bottom looking in every folder there is. There is no history file that says everything you have done. If there is i have eliminated it cause i dont ahve any history files other than my IE history which is 32KB. that is the index.dat which can not be deleted.

So either A.) you are ultra paranoid or B.) the file you are asking about doesnt exist cause i can not find it having EVERY FILE SHOWING. Not jsut system file but every file. And i still can find it.

Even thru a search. So if it is there it is still hidden. Which i highly doubt.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Alright i just went thru my entire PC from top to bottom looking in every folder there is. There is no history file that says everything you have done. If there is i have eliminated it cause i dont ahve any history files other than my IE history which is 32KB. that is the index.dat which can not be deleted.

So either A.) you are ultra paranoid or B.) the file you are asking about doesnt exist cause i can not find it having EVERY FILE SHOWING. Not jsut system file but every file. And i still can find it.

Even thru a search. So if it is there it is still hidden. Which i highly doubt.
it's there.

you guys don't want to think that windows is tracking you but they are. they been been putting it there since win98 or win 95. it's not suppose to let you know that it's there. it hidden. the fbi and law enforcement use it against criminal, terrorist and child molesters. we talked about this this a few times a few years ago. again I forget the name of it
Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Yek
T.F's Resident Cool Guy...

Send a message via AIM to Yek Send a message via MSN to Yek Send a message via Yahoo to Yek

Yh it's sure there, I don't even think its cleared with a reformat is it?

Are you talking about index.dat files SPL Tech ?
These can be cleared with a number of free progs, such as CC Cleaner, Tracks Eraser, Privicy Eraser and more. Google and pick your favroite
Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
it's there.

you guys don't want to think that windows is tracking you but they are. they been been putting it there since win98 or win 95. it's not suppose to let you know that it's there. it hidden. the fbi and law enforcement use it against criminal, terrorist and child molesters. we talked about this this a few times a few years ago. again I forget the name of it
Well then it is super hidden. Cause i searched every inch of my PC. If you cant find it with every file showing then you never will.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

You all need to check this out

E-Fense
Helix - Incident Response & Computer Forensics Live CD by e-fense™, Inc.

Downloads
http://www.e-fense.com/helix/downloads.php

PDF
http://www.e-fense.com/helix/Docs/Helix0307.pdf

I'm sure this can answer some questions