Windows XP Gets Another Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Windows XP Gets Another Extension

Looks like even the advent of Windows 7 won't be enough to put Win XP out to pasture, at least not right away. Microsoft extended the option to sell XP on new systems for another year, through 4/30/2010. The source is from HP but it likely encompasses other builders that still offer XP.

Microsoft isn't excited about the XP extension, as the internal communique provided by the source stated, "It's important to remind customers that Microsoft are still planning to retire XP Pro Mainstream support on April 14th 2009 and will only provide OS security updates beyond that date unless the customer has an Extended Hotfix Support contract. MS Extended Support for XP Pro ends on April 8th 2014."

well thats good, considering a lot of us still run windows xp, i know i sure do on most of my systems

Ugh, they need to just drop it. XP has been out way too long, and this will just give more people incentive to keep getting XP instead of moving on...

b0dge said it best. XP is like swiss cheese with how many flaws they are finding in it now. It is getting tougher and tougher to throw a band aid on it and patch it up.

It is old tech. It is from 2001. The only thing left for hackers to do is break the kernel. Which wont be that far off now.

I run XP too, But can't wait to move up to win 7, Don't want to waste the money on vista when 7 is right around the corner.

Dauntae

hmm, i agree with mak. they need to get rid of it. i can not stand to use XP anymore. going from vista it's like a mojor downgrade. even the sound quality in vista is better (with same sound card)

I'm perfectly fine using XP, but I've only recently started using Vista, and I'm just kinda liking the eye candy so far. Win7 is what I'm really excited for.

I have to run XP on my laptop, Vista makes the thing freak out during boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom