Windows XP frozen - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to ben2the4th Send a message via Yahoo to ben2the4th
Default Windows XP frozen

I just started downloading Windows XP onto my computer and the installation of drivers screens has stayed up for a whole day. It says installation time of 35 minutes but its been up for hours on the screen. Plus all the animations are still working such as the screens that tell you about the features on the Windows XP. Should I restart the computer? Hopefully not.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

if it pauses for more than 20 minutes that most likely means it's frozen. in your case it's definately frozen. yes, try re-booting. i would guess you are stuck on the hardware detection part of the installation. I would also guess you are trying to install winXP on a very old computer. if that sounds right, thats most of the reasons why this is happening

Old 05-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Also, don't worry too much about rebooting during the install of XP, it won't start you off from the beginning, it remembers where you left off.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to ben2the4th Send a message via Yahoo to ben2the4th

I tried installing it over and over again but each time it freezes at Installing Windows (35 minutes left.) The computer is brand new and has AMD 3200 and 9800 Radeon and much more. Do I have to buy a new CD?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

no what you need to do is return that piece of crap back to cyber power or where ever you bought it from......or you could try to figure out why this is happening. it might be because winXP doesn't detect your memory or some device you have. no way to find out except by eliminating each part one at a time to see where the problem comes from. what is the brand and size of your memory?
Closed Thread