Windows XP freezes at desktop after booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol i turned on the pc and xp was freezing just like at the beginning , i give up! ty everyone for your suggestions

You're stuck there trying a repair install to see if that will get Windows to boot normally where you can sweep anything found if any afterwards or a full fresh start like Mak already pointed out earlier.

If the drive itself is toast nothing you try will work until that is taken care of which might be the best step to take next anyways since that will kill two birds with one stone namely any bugs you might find or a bad drive simply seeing it last days. R.I.P.

Actually (still not given up).

The actual disk errors are 'The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.'

That means D: drive right? which is the defunct Dvd drive which doesnt open.

My hard drive is C:.

I think chkdsk only checks C, not D (the dvd drive). I tried running a chkdsk for /D: but it 'Cannot open volume for direct access'.

I think i am onto something....

Should I take out the disc drive and see how it goes?

The "\Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block." error you are seeing there points right at the hard drive D. The hard drive is not being seen as C as it usually would but is seen as second to

The check disk /D you entered is the incorrect switch for seeing that scan the hard drive for problems. The correct command would be "chkdsk /r" R for repair by working around any bad sectors if found.

By your own descriptions of the problems being seen it sounds like two drives not the one being the optical drive need to be replaced there to see the system running again.

is '/r' the same as selecting 'Attempt recovery of bad sectors' when using explorer to run chkdsk (right click C: and do it through there)

The r switch is added when you are at a command prompt. The tools tab in the properties for error checking simply runs the check disk without any switches there.

Your best still to see if the drive is any good would be going for the drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool or the freeware called HDTune utility displayed back in page #2 post #20 in the thread here. The program has a free version you can grab as well as the full retail version at HD Tune

The "\Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block." error you are seeing there points right at the hard drive D. The hard drive is not being seen as C as it usually would but is seen as second to
The correct command would be "chkdsk /r" R for repair by working around any bad sectors if found.

this worked! no disc errors in the event viewer.

some errors with programs, but thats because ive deleted alot of folders and files. ill do fresh installs so fresh app data can sweep back in.

I have basically NOTHING on my pc, apart from a few essential progs and stuff. is there a thing where I can sweep the registry and just clear up the old stuff from years gone by. its a rare occasion my 250gb hd is using up 25gb. now would be a good time to clean all the little things.

THANK YOU once again. clearing up definately helped the chkdsk

I'm sure you are glad to find the drive is still in working order. The old installation is likely too polluted to be saved where a good fresh install will cleanup everything.

I can point you at a few good registry cleanup tools like Eusing(freeware) and the free version of Wise seen at Free Registry Cleaner, Disk Cleaner - Downloads They also offer a drive cleanup tool there as well.

The Eusing cleaner is found at Eusing Free Registry Cleaner: Safely scan and repair registry problems - Spyware FREE. That is a fully automatic cleaner with the repair problems option. It's fast and safe for XP thru 7 so far as seen from use here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom