Windows XP & the Floppy Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snump

In Runtime
I notice this on all Win XP SP2 machines. Once I access the floppy drive for whatever reason, the machine constantly searches on the diskette for something. This is annoying, because sometimes there isn't a disk in the drive and it hangs the machine for a minute. Eventually it gives up and everything is notmal.
Has anyone seen this? I use Norton Antivirus Corporate 9.0 - I'm told irt does some wacky things with the floppy drive. Could that be causing the probnlem?

At work I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate 9.0 and on my PC everytime I log off it searches for a disk for about 10 secs maybe less, I will have alook see next time. But Even without SAV it still comes up 'Insert disk' and just looks for one till I click cancel. I found the same thing happens in 2000 and I think ME, not to sure about ME as it SUCKS.

dexta182 said:
At work I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate 9.0 and on my PC everytime I log off it searches for a disk for about 10 secs maybe less, I will have alook see next time. But Even without SAV it still comes up 'Insert disk' and just looks for one till I click cancel. I found the same thing happens in 2000 and I think ME, not to sure about ME as it SUCKS.

Its not just when I log off, its anytime. If I grab a file off the disk and copy it to the desktop for example, from then on when I open other programs etc. it hits the disk drive for a few seconds. If I stick a disk in there it doesn't take as long.

A while ago i had Norton's antivirus (now symantec i think) running on win 98 and the same thing happened as you said opening a program or even shuttingdown the os. Never found out why it was happening but then i moved to AVG Antivirus.

Drworm2005.

drworm2005 said:
A while ago i had Norton's antivirus (now symantec i think) running on win 98 and the same thing happened as you said opening a program or even shuttingdown the os. Never found out why it was happening but then i moved to AVG Antivirus.

Drworm2005.

Ah ha!
Therein lies the culprit.

you have to go into the startup bios before the xp welcome screen and disable the "boot from floppy". I hope that works...

NAV 2005 really sucks....
what i experienced was when i installed NAV2005 in XP SP2....xp loads and i see the wallpaper....pc restarts....
then what i did was go in safe mode and disable it in msconfig and renamed the directory....
but still i find a pop up error in startup
if anyone sees the same problem and found a solution r cause just let me know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom