windows xp file sharing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy windows xp file sharing

I'm new to networking, and need some help to understand about windows xp file sharing service.
According to Windows XP Professional book, "Windows XP file sharing service can make a network connection at most 10 other computers. If you need to share a network resource (such a printer or file folder) with more than 10 computers, you'll need Windows XP server."

My company currently has 10 computers with Windows XP installed, and these are connected thru 3 switches to a router. Also, a network hard drive is connected to our network as a file server, and so are printers.
I wonder if I connect 11th machine with Windows XP to the network, the machine might not be able to connect to the network unless I have a Windows XP server based on what it's written above. Am I understanding it correctly?

Do I really need to have the Windows XP server? What my company really needs is a file server with a backup storage.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
Default Re: windows xp file sharing

I've share it on more than 10 machines at home. I once networked about 15 computers at a day care center with xp

The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

This may help Inbound connections limit in Windows XP
Old 01-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via MSN to squeeze01

im pretty sure 10 is just a guideline for xp i think 10 is the number of hosts you can have on a network with out a throughput being lowerd
Closed Thread