Windows XP Crashing (Trouble rebooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnigmaX

Baseband Member
I've been running on this install of XP for a little over a year. No hardware changes, etc.

My PC has now started to shut itself down. There is no rhyme or reason to it, no "blue screen of death", etc. Once the PC shuts down, if I try and boot it back up, it will boot for about 2 seconds, and shut down again. It doesn't boot far enough to POST or anything that I can see.

If I leave it sit for about 10 minutes, it will boot back up just fine. It's also started locking up while I'm playing games etc.

I normally would think it would be a heat issue. All the fans are working properly, I actually LEAVE the side of the case off. There's plenty of airflow, and the tower actually sits beside the A/C vent.

Any suggestions at all? I don't see anything critical show up in the Event Viewer besides a standard "Service Control Manager" stating the log was stopped.

EnigmaX said:
I've been running on this install of XP for a little over a year. No hardware changes, etc.

My PC has now started to shut itself down. There is no rhyme or reason to it, no "blue screen of death", etc. Once the PC shuts down, if I try and boot it back up, it will boot for about 2 seconds, and shut down again. It doesn't boot far enough to POST or anything that I can see.

If I leave it sit for about 10 minutes, it will boot back up just fine. It's also started locking up while I'm playing games etc.

I normally would think it would be a heat issue. All the fans are working properly, I actually LEAVE the side of the case off. There's plenty of airflow, and the tower actually sits beside the A/C vent.

Any suggestions at all? I don't see anything critical show up in the Event Viewer besides a standard "Service Control Manager" stating the log was stopped.

bad psu

Sounds like it's over heating or a power supply. Clean the dust off your computer, especially if there are to much dust on the heatsink of the CPU or anywhere on the system. From what you told me this is a problem that occurs and goes away, if you can't get past POST than the Motheboard,CPU or RAM is overheating. Or try another power supply and see how that goes.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Think I should throw another PSU in it? Man it would be a relief if it was a simple fix like that. I'll see if I can come across one tomorrow and give it a shot. It certainly won't hurt anything.

I did find one "System Error" in the Event Log, not sure if it's relavent to the PC shutting down or not. I took a screen shot and cost throw it up on my server if it would help.

**EDIT: Law, there isn't much dust or anything on the fans, heatsinks etc. I keep the cover off and try to keep up on that stuff. I'll definatly double check it as well though, thanks again for the information guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom