windows xp computer not booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

code00edb

Beta member
Hi guys I'm hoping that someone here can help me out. I have a friend that has windows xp home edition but for some reason it will not run past the windows xp logo screen. It then returns back to the screen with "safe mode and last known config etc."
However none of those choices seem to work.

He does not have a windows start up disk so that solution is out. Can someone please give me a detailed solution or any ideas that I can pass along to him thanks.

Well, he needs an XP CD for starters. If he can get that, then we can help you further. after that, it's all based on what error is causing the problem.

boot with a bart pe cd and install nero on it or get a usb hdd.

If your PC lacks a Windows CD, a folder named 'i386' containing the Windows installation files is probably in the root directory of drive C: or in your C:\Windows folder. Your system may have several i386 folders, but the one you want has a lot of files with extensions ending in underscores (_), along with the executable files expand.exe, regedit.exe, and winnt32.exe. Copy this folder onto a CD for safekeeping, though you'll use the version on the hard drive to actually reinstall Windows.

now back up your data. now reinstall xp. hit the file management utility on the bart cd. browse to i386 folder (do not use the i386 folder on the CD) and click on winnt32.exe. if you can install windows on a different partition or a different folder instead of the \windows one. name it \winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom