Windows XP CD Boot problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olan1Durai

Baseband Member
Upon booting my PC asks for a "Boot CD" and will not continue to Windows without it. This is a description of everything I have done up until this problem.

I recently reformatted my Raid 0'd 74GB Raptors.

I bought a Windows XP Upgrade CD.

I have a Full Windows 2000 Pro CD.

I install windows with a few hitches. The program fails to recognise the raided drives for the Raptors, No big deal, I start over and it recognises them. I install Windows, removing the XP when asked, placing the 2000Pro in it's place, then removing that and placing XP back for the installation. The rest of the install goes well. I reboot.

I (with the upgrade cd still in the drive) start windows and begin installing updates, drivers, etc. I restart with a different CD in the drive.

***Here lies my problem: My computer will not boot to Windows without the XP Upgrade CD in the drive.

"Boot from CD:
No SYSTEM DISC IN DRIVE. INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE"

Or something to that extent shows on my screen.
So I insert the disc and it then displays

"Press any key to boot from CD....."

Then it continues on to windows.

Things I have done to try and solve this:
I have gone into BIOS and lowered my disc drive to the last boot priority, then I took it completely off, to no effect.
I have fully updated windows. No effect.
I have reformatted and reinstalled. No effect.

Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Olan.

I placed two CDs in the drive. Both of which were drivers. An ABIT mobo CD, and an Audigy 2zs cd. After installing those two, and the windows updates, I rebooted and encountered my problem.

Edit: I encounter the same problem if I have no CD in the drive as well.

Olan1Durai said:
I placed two CDs in the drive. Both of which were drivers. An ABIT mobo CD, and an Audigy 2zs cd. After installing those two, and the windows updates, I rebooted and encountered my problem.

Edit: I encounter the same problem if I have no CD in the drive as well.

I would simplify this by installing 2000 first. then with 2000 running put you xp in and upgrade

Now I have never used an upgrade cd, can any one else her verify that you need to keep replacing the cd's as he is saying? To me, that dont sound right, but Im not 100% sure because I never used an upgrade cd before...

Warez Monster said:
Now I have never used an upgrade cd, can any one else her verify that you need to keep replacing the cd's as he is saying? To me, that dont sound right, but Im not 100% sure because I never used an upgrade cd before...

if you noticed, he said he formatted. so that is how you have to do it when using an upgrade on a formatted disk

he need to hit f6 when booting from the xp cd and install his raid drivers with a floppy disc when ask, so his computer can find the specific path. it can't find it now because it has no raid driver in dos

derrmc said:
if you noticed, he said he formatted. so that is how you have to do it when using an upgrade on a formatted disk

so he formatted, install 2000, then upgraded, then took the cd out and put in 2000 again and then put back xp? dont make no sense to me..

To clarify:
EricB, I did install the raid drivers, as I said, that issue was cleared up.

Warez Monster, Apparently the windows upgrade CD has a full installation of Windows XP on it. The reason behind making me put in a previous "full" version of windows is to verify that I am actually "Upgrading". After the program verifies that I have an older windows OS disc, it asks me to replace the upgrade CD and it continues with installation.

Thanks for the help, I am about to reformat again... and install 2000 Pro then upgrade, instead of just using the upgrade cd to install... I'll be back in about... well.. an hour or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom