WindoWs XP - Can't start in safemode too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

heguru

In Runtime
Hi all,

Two weeks back a virus alert (downloader virus) was on my computer. Now windows completely not starting in Normal mode. I am seeing user accounts but not logging in to anybody's.

Tried to open in safemode. But screen stuck at user accounts again.

I am ready to do clean intall of windows XP. But I have few files to copy to my cd-rw. Please... what to do?

How to login in safemode?

Hi There,

Have you tried doing a repair?

If not give it a go, it's quite easy if you still have the CD that came with your copy of wondows. All you have to do is pop the CD into your computer, restart and follow the prompts. Just remember to choose the second option - which is to repair, otherwise you will overwrite everything!

Also if you have not tried starting with the last known good configuration then it may be worth doing that before repairing/reformatting, all you have to do for this is press F8 whilst the machine is starting up (as soon as the screen goes blank for the first time) You will then get a menu - choose Last Known Good Configuration.

ONe piece of advice - once you get into your machine I would advise you take a copy of all of your files and then do a complete reformat of the machine.

Also get yourself some good AV software on there. If money is tight there is AVG Free from Grisoft - which is fantastic!!! And take regular backups of your files!!

Hope this helps.

Louise

Download acopy of Knippox. It is a Live CD that will allow you to get your files moved so that you can do a fresh install. A repair while nice and should work wont fix your virus problem. It all depends on what type of virus it was. Some can even get so far into your system that they affect your BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom